Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Thrift store finds

Inspired by Robb's estate and garage sale finds thread.

My camera is still out of service due to the lack of a unique cable, but radiomuseum.org has a GE clock radio just like the one I picked up for 3 bucks yesterday. Tested and working fine. It'll replace my crappy Chinese "RCA" clock radio.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_7_4638a.html

Today I scored a pair of vintage Sanyo speakers for 6 bucks from the same thrift store. Their 10-watt power handling isn't going to make for wall-shaking sound, but I never blast music anyway. The only speakers I had until today were little bookshelf speakers that I use for running my car stereos on the bench. A big selling point for me in regards to the Sanyo speakers is that the back panels are screwed on. I also got a few cassettes and VHS tapes.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
One of my TV sets is a car stereo with a little 1.5" b/w CRT. LOVE that thing...and it sits on a 12Vdc power supply hooked up to a real cheesy '80s EQ booster thing with the "spectrum analyzer" LEDs. It's CRT is likely the exact or similar as the little Panasonic TR sets....and I can't imagine having that in your DASH and watching it even when parked. It does have a GREAT am/fm tuner though....and a good running auto reverse cassette deck.

It's not quite a workbench, but still the same sort of setup. The headboard cabinet of the bed....and wired to four little bookshelf speakers

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I stopped going to Value Village and Goodwills in and around Toronto because I never find anything, they get picked here like crazy I think, or not much good stuff gets donated there.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
It's not quite a workbench, but still the same sort of setup. The headboard cabinet of the bed....and wired to four little bookshelf speakers
My bench is nothing to sneeze at either really, just a junky, water-damaged masonite-top black table that I trash-picked from down the street. My Pyramid model PS-14KX power supply covers up a lot of the water-damaged material that I cut out with a utility knife. It had one loose leg too, but that was bolted tight easily enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I stopped going to Value Village and Goodwills in and around Toronto because I never find anything, they get picked here like crazy I think, or not much good stuff gets donated there.
Perhaps the thrift store I frequent gets good stuff because it's a charity. I stopped going to Value Village ages ago, they sell overpriced junk and they don't even accept CRT TVs.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I last got 2 VHS tapes @ salvation army!

1) Sesame street - ROCK & ROLL!! (Several music videos I have come to love from SS from before 1993 are on it) - 1990

2) Huey Lewis and the news - THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL - A concert (Mostly concert footage featuring songs from thier SPORTS record) - 1985
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Old TVs are better!

We have a 30 year old GE clock radio very similar to the one at radiomuseum that wakes us up every morning.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I last got 2 VHS tapes @ salvation army!

1) Sesame street - ROCK & ROLL!! (Several music videos I have come to love from SS from before 1993 are on it) - 1990

2) Huey Lewis and the news - THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL - A concert (Mostly concert footage featuring songs from thier SPORTS record) - 1985
Cool! I would like to get some stuff that hasn't been released on DVD, like The Green Hornet TV series. The suits have been arguing over who gets the money for such a DVD release, so it may never happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
We have a 30 year old GE clock radio very similar to the one at radiomuseum that wakes us up every morning.
That's great. Today was my first day using that radio's alarm. Well, I set it to wake to music. The China-Mart special it replaced went to the thrift store yesterday.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Green Hornet wasn't released on vhs , a dvd of one of the movies came out but wasn't out long before they were told to cease , i do have the run from the encore action channel uncut ( except the pilot the silent gun it was missing the epilogue that i took from a lesser quality tape i had ) , vhs quality not dvd quality but better then nothing , space channel in Canada ran it uncut with commercials but i had no access , a person from there recorded a couple for me but that was it.
the real challenge was puting the next week previews on the 2 part episodes and the recaps since they were not on the encore versions so i had to take them from other tapes i had , some not great quality but atleast i could replace them.

mike
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

So, the suits have been arguing about it for that long. Well, there are other ways of getting the series.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-07-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

The series is running on MeTV Saturday mornings. 6-7am I think. Should I start a recordathon? And why would any suit argue about that dog? Even Bruce Lee is bad driving a matte black Imperial with green headlights. Batman must have been laughing very hard.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Green Hornet TV series is also on YouTube.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
The series is running on MeTV Saturday mornings. 6-7am I think. Should I start a recordathon? And why would any suit argue about that dog? Even Bruce Lee is bad driving a matte black Imperial with green headlights. Batman must have been laughing very hard.
You're talking about a guy who wears tights with his underpants on the outside. Was it really necessary to come in here just to bash The Green Hornet?

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-07-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Boy... 2 boxs of records came in yesterday @ salvation army!!

I got 10 pieces of gold!

1) Elton Johns Greatest hits - I almost put this back as I had so many!! (IM GLAD I DIDNT!! (I didnt know if I would have enuf $$$ (They only came to $10.60 though (I knew it wouldnt be much but I didnt have too much $$$ with me))))

2) Night Flight - A collection of songs from 1981 (I have this album (I got it in the 80s but didnt take care of it <<>> basically unplayable -- Im glad I found another copy!))

3) Eagles - One of these nights

4) Best of the Beach Boys - Volume 2

5) Men at work - Cargo

6) Harry Chapin - Verities & Balderdash

7) Terry Jacks - Seasons in the sun

8) Foreigner - Agent Provocateur

9) Phil Collins - Hello I must be going

10) Wings - Band on the run

EDIT: (September 9th)

I got a record today: Barry White's Greatest hits

And a VHS tape: Jimi Hendrix LIVE at woodstock

Last edited by Dude111; 09-09-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I won't be out of coax cable for a while, I got a reel with most of it left in its own custom 1-cubic foot (?) box for 10 bucks today. Now I just need some F-connectors and a coax stripping/crimping tool..
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

8) Foreigner - Agent Provocateur
"That was Yesterday" from that album is like the SOUL of the 1980s.
Audiokarma