Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Mine has the regular halogen, incandescent type lamps. It was still fun. You had to use a mirror, because it's so tight in there.
There was some kind of a coolant valve, that was leaking. $434.00 later, the check engine light was still on.
I always address any leaks, as my cats have access to the garage.
More later, Gentlemen.
I just have the battery loose and ready to lift out. My younger neighbor wasn't around to help me lift the heavy beast out. I'm excited to see how the repairs work out.
After tearing this thing apart, it's easy to see why cars are so expensive today. There is a lot of electrical wiring and components, present. It's little wonder why some people would rather have a car that's 30, 40 years old.
In this area, if we want a older model car, we have to get it from a non-rust belt state. The tin-worm is always busy around here.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
If we don't hear from you in a couple days we'll call 911 for you.
Operation was a success, the patient lives!
They recommended just removing the one bad cell, but the way they're sandwitched together, it still required removing the cells, preceeding the bad cell. There's all seriesing links on both sides of the cells. The on line proceedures recommended just cutting the plastic between the cells. I just disassembled the entire bank, as one of the cells that had a slightly lower reading and it was the last cell.
There's 28, 7.2v nickel metal hydride cells in the bank, one read 6.4 volts and the other 7.2, where the others read 7.8. Those are all no-load readings.
Will I do it again! Absolutely!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Great news!

We've only had one or two Prius batteries fail in the fleet I work for, they were covered by warranty so I didn't get to experiment.

We had a couple Hybrid Escapes that sat so long (eight months) they wouldn't start because the traction battery had discharged too much. Ford included a hidden switch that you press and it recharges the traction battery enough from the 12 volt battery to start the engine, it only takes about eight minutes.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Great news!

We've only had one or two Prius batteries fail in the fleet I work for, they were covered by warranty so I didn't get to experiment.

We had a couple Hybrid Escapes that sat so long (eight months) they wouldn't start because the traction battery had discharged too much. Ford included a hidden switch that you press and it recharges the traction battery enough from the 12 volt battery to start the engine, it only takes about eight minutes.
Now, I was greeted with a buzzing left front wheel bearing. The right one, was changed about 40 K miles ago.
It seems, all cars are created equal. Get a few miles on them and it's nickel and dime time.
I still shouldn't complain. I still a great daily-driver.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Operation was a success, the patient lives!
They recommended just removing the one bad cell, but the way they're sandwitched together, it still required removing the cells, preceeding the bad cell. There's all seriesing links on both sides of the cells. The on line proceedures recommended just cutting the plastic between the cells. I just disassembled the entire bank, as one of the cells that had a slightly lower reading and it was the last cell.
There's 28, 7.2v nickel metal hydride cells in the bank, one read 6.4 volts and the other 7.2, where the others read 7.8. Those are all no-load readings.
Will I do it again! Absolutely!
I should have never made that statement. I had it apart twice this year. One cell-pack failed in April and replaced, another failed last week, just before I was going to the swap in Illinois.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I should have never made that statement. I had it apart twice this year. One cell-pack failed in April and replaced, another failed last week, just before I was going to the swap in Illinois.
I finished the battery pack and installed it. Back to working properly and 51.9 MPG. I still have to replace all the trim panels in the cargo area.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Banned

Sorry to say but IMHO it's junk. Be American buy American. I know this might start some sh&t but that's the way I was brought up.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoy View Post
Sorry to say but IMHO it's junk. Be American buy American. I know this might start some sh&t but that's the way I was brought up.
I was 66YO when I bought this car. I bought it to replace my beloved Jeep Liberty Diesel, that was totaled in kind of a freaky early winter accident.
The cars I now own are a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, bought new, a 2000 Dodge Dakota, also bought new and the Prius. I bought many cars in 52 years, both new and used, Dodges, Plymouths, Fords, one International and one big lemon of a Chevy, never a Japanese make. My two main jobs were Union, so that was one reason.
If you study the theory of operation, the design is much better than any other Hybrid. The American firms can't build anything as efficient.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

There is the Tesla. Its a American automotive and better then any Prius.
I just say buy American or all are cars will be like our TVS none built here.
Lets keep Americans working and not the Japanese. It only helps all of us.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Administrator

This is veering dangerously close to politics so lets steer it back on topic.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is veering dangerously close to politics so lets steer it back on topic.
Sorry dont see it as politics just what I see as facts
Old 07-08-2016, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Sorry dont see it as politics just what I see as facts
It's time that your forum name is removed from this group. We don't need your kind here. As your name implies, you are nothing but a junk peddler, looking for some free advice, how much you can get for some of the scrap, you're picking up and trying to resell.
You're the one who started this foolishness. Get a life and get a job!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's time that your forum name is removed from this group. We don't need your kind here. As your name implies, you are nothing but a junk peddler, looking for some free advice, how much you can get for some of the scrap, you're picking up and trying to resell.
You're the one who started this foolishness. Get a life and get a job!
I do have a job, I am a Industrial Electrician for the big 3.
And as my name implies I collect old toys and tvs

Last edited by oldtvsandtoy; 07-10-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Be American buy American.
I wish it were that easy to do, I'd be all for it. I know a lot of people locally that say the same thing. It's amazing to them when I walk inside their homes and point out all the foreign made stuff they actually own, even when the same products are still produced here (at both higher cost and lower quality). Often they just assume the old brand name they are familiar with is still produced here, and time and time again they are wrong.

The world is what it is. It's now a global market, for better or worse.

I personally like the freedom to choose to buy what products I want, no matter where they are sourced from. If American products had the best quality at the lowest cost, you can bet I'd be buying more of them.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 PM
M is for Memory

My folks used to buy American cars till mom's ~1989 Chevy Beretta....That thing was a total lemon and spent more time in the shop before it even hit 60K (gaskets failing and injectors plugging well before then, and costing a lot to fix) than it did out of the shop......At that same time my uncle had a similar age Honda, which he drove 100K without ANY maintenance....He never even changed the oil!...And it was STILL going strong when he sold it at 100K miles.

Next car the folks bought after the Chevy was a Honda and the folks never looked back....They have been good cars. of the 4 we've had the first got returned at the end of the lease, the second totaled by an idiot that did not stop with highway traffic, and the current 2 are still going strong and have been FAR more reliable than the last American car the folks bought.

I personally am coming to really dislike modern cars sold in the USA....There is way too much electronics in them, and they are not so much drivers cars anymore as they are nanny-mobiles designed to prevent you from having problems texting and driving on the highway (which should be obsolete with modern voice command capable phones that are saturating the market)...Most of the controls are not even mechanically linked and have to go through a computer to take the fun out...That and all the stupid warnings that never used to be there and pointless tech for tech's sake....It makes me really like that the last owner of my 78 Lincoln unplugged the warning buzzers.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma