Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Stuck in the past!

Compaq Presario 5150 monitor needed

Does anyone know where one of these is located? I've looked everywhere for the past couple years and cannot locate one. Its the kind of monitor where the speakers hang on the sides of it. I have the speakers but need the monitor to complete the original matched set. Pic below shows the setup.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would recommend to continue to monitor fleamarkets,Tag sales, Craigslist,Ebay ,Thrift shops and for free at the curb for one.The monitor looks great with the attached speakers.I curbed found a Sony like that which was sadly destroyed by copper thieves .I kept the speakers from it.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I would recommend to continue to monitor fleamarkets,Tag sales, Craigslist,Ebay ,Thrift shops and for free at the curb for one.The monitor looks great with the attached speakers.I curbed found a Sony like that which was sadly destroyed by copper thieves .I kept the speakers from it.
I came across something similar to those Sony units. Was all black. If I remember, it was mostly all-in-one. Most thrift or flea markets don't even take in crt monitors anymore. Maybe ebay or Craigs eventually.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

The first decent computer my wife & I bought was one of those, bought second hand. Long gone now, I'm afraid. I did a little volunteer work for a thrift store and they got stuck with a lot of monitors. They'd show up on the doorstep overnight. Had a whole shipping container cluttered up with them.

Not long before I closed my business I needed a monitor to limp along until the end. I posted on freecycle and ended up with 4 or 5, and just picked the best. They're still out there.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Banned

My sister had that same exact computer as her first computer about a decade ago, it was given to her by a friend of mine who worked for the local Montesori Academy and they were getting rid of a bunch of old computers that they were retiring because they bought new ones and I had gotten from my friend an old Gateway Performance 600 Desktop computer that worked great until I got a Dell Desktop from another friend of mine who got a few from a local school equipment auction.

Notice how the flyer for the computer says that the monitor is an additional charge on top of the computer's price of almost $2,000, more than likely there aren't as many of these monitors out there as you might think because more than likely if people were buying this computer back in 1999 they would just buy the computer tower, keyboard and mouse and then just buy a cheaper generic monitor instead of paying the additional $500+ for the monitor that could of came with the tower.

Last edited by Captainclock; 01-18-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 PM
M is for Memory

A lot of people simply reused the monitor form their previous computer when upgrading instead of buying a new one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-19-2016, 07:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I still have the tower, lol. I had the whole setup, monitor and all, but an older friend of mine wanted a simple PC. So I gave her a newer P4 tower, and gave her the monitor and keyboard that went to the presario. I don't know if she still has it; I gave it to her a couple years ago.

In the off chance that I see her sometime soon, and she does still have it, is it worth it to you to have it shipped from ohio? It probably wouldn't be cheap...
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
A lot of people simply reused the monitor form their previous computer when upgrading instead of buying a new one.
exactly, I was going to say that but it was late and I was tired. But of course if it was a home application most people may have been buying the Presario computer as their first computer (seeing as they cost as much as a used car back then) so they wouldn't have a previous monitor to use in some cases, but instead of buying the monitor that came with the tower they would just buy a cheaper generic unit so that they wouldn't have to be paying nearly $3,000+ for the computer.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Finding that exact monitor will be a challenge. The exact model number is Compaq MV400.

Set craigslist to update you if it shows up. A quick search on ad huntr reveals that it has showed up every once in a while.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I still have the tower, lol. I had the whole setup, monitor and all, but an older friend of mine wanted a simple PC. So I gave her a newer P4 tower, and gave her the monitor and keyboard that went to the presario. I don't know if she still has it; I gave it to her a couple years ago.

In the off chance that I see her sometime soon, and she does still have it, is it worth it to you to have it shipped from ohio? It probably wouldn't be cheap...
Sure. You got my interest.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
Finding that exact monitor will be a challenge. The exact model number is Compaq MV400.

Set craigslist to update you if it shows up. A quick search on ad huntr reveals that it has showed up every once in awhile.
I know it's gonna be a challenge. Been looking for over a year now. Haven't seen one in years since I last had one. I'll try the craiglist update.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey pac.attack76, where did you find that ad?

I had been looking for a set like this for a year or two now (I guess over here they're even harder to find than in the US). But I eventually found a complete set including everything, all original configuration. Picked it up January 2. And it even was in pristine condition! So I think that you'll just have to keep searching.

The title of the ad of mine just said 'Compaq Presario', nothing more.

Now I myself am looking for the original software installation disc for this machine (Presario 5xxx). Maybe not the right forums but perhaps the right thread to find someone who still has it.

Thanks!
Rubix