Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where to Find Model/Revision Numbers

I'm on my second B&K TV Analyst. Love 'em. The second one is a 1077B I got on eBay. It works well, but I want to get some documentation when trouble occurs. The schematic on Phil Nelson's site appears to be the closest to what I have (Thanks, Phil!).

Other sources on the 'net show a different schematic for the 1077B. This version has an integrated circuit countdown chain from the 189 KHz oscillator.

I guess the first thing that would help would be to find out exactly what model and revision I have. I've looked all over this thing and can't find any label stamp anywhere.

I just looked over the schematic for my 1076 and there are considerable differences between the schematic and the actual unit. Is B&K this loose with documentation with all of their products?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by Tom9589; 12-20-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Workin' Late Again

When they were new they came with schematics and basic servicing info. Like most companies I'm sure they had their ways to keep track of revisions. At this point in time it's hard to say what info you'll get out of B&K headquarters. I doubt that any were being manufactured later than the mid 80's.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

B&K is all over the place. I bought my first 1076 when I was 21 many moons ago for $50. No manual, of course. I ordered one from B&K. Fortunately I have not had to do much to this unit until the electrolytics aged out. During my quest for a 1077B manual and schematic, I looked more closely at my 1076 schematic. The color circuits between the schematic and the actual unit are as different as day is from night! The manual schematic shows a 6J9, a 10 pin tube, in the color circuit - not even close to my actual unit. I finally found a 1076 manual on line which corresponds to the actual unit.

I finally found a good, one page, schematic that is identical to Phil's, so I'm good for my 1077B. I don't have the version with the IC countdown counter.

One interesting note. The "incorrect" schematic I first found on the 'net shows a 6FQ7 as V7. The 6FQ7 is a 600 mA filament tube operating a series string of 450 mA filament tubes. Phil's schematic shows the correct 8FQ7 which is a 450 mA filament tube.

I guess B&K just uses the serial number sticker to determine exactly what revision of the unit you have. Every parts list I have come across has a statement at the bottom stating that the serial number is required on all parts orders. I guess I'm out of luck on my 1077B as the previous owner(s) removed the serial number on the lid and there is no duplicate serial number on the chassis like my 1076.

I wonder if they have this same loose documentation with their fabled CRT testing/rejuvenation gear?

Last edited by Tom9589; 12-24-2018 at 10:01 AM.