Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I havent heard an 8 track since the 80s -- Wouldnt mind hearing another
I have not heard an 8-track tape since the 1970s, and I have no more desire to now than I did then, which was about zero (cassettes were so much better, except the pre-recorded ones).

Well, I do still have the AM/FM/8-track deck I removed from my 1974 GMC motorhome; it would be fun to get it working and find a tape to play on it. Probably needs to be Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles, or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Also, what is TOTL?
TOTL means "Top Of The Line". An eight-track deck with Dolby noise reduction is definitely high-end for that format.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I need to dig out the Akai deck and post a picture of that one. That one is by far the most professional 8-track deck that I've seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
I think I have seen the Akai decks, but I would still like to see yours. I saw another kind on eBought a while back that was absolutely massive and actually recorded in quadraphonic. Made by Panasonic but branded under a different name I think.

Edit: Found one! Completed listing though. Technics by Panasonic, model RS-858US. I don't really care about quad recording, but I wouldn't turn down one of these beasts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Track-Tape...p2047675.l2557
Just stumbled on another kind, surprises abound. An Akai CR-80D-SS. Perhaps it's the same kind you have. I still prefer the Technics unit though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akai-CR-80D-...51279629683%26
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM
BigDavesTV

I've enjoyed reading this thread, I still have my Superscope Marantz TDR-820, 8Track play / record tape deck! :-) I bought it new in 1977, and I have kept it going all these years, and have kept my 8Track cartridges repaired, as well. It's still fun to play them, I have replaced the Capstan drive belt about 4 times over the years, because they stretch, have replaced illumination lamps, and cleaned and degaused the head several times over the years. I also enjoy listening to, and recording on stereo reel to reel, too!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Cool! Where do you get your belts, and what do you use to demagnetize the head?

A Marantz 8-track deck, its mere existence must have the hard-core audio snobs fuming, haha.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Today @ salvation Army I got one!! -- Its GLEN MILLER (2 albums on it) - 1974 (I think its Mono) 29 cents

I dont have a player but I wanna see if i can play 1 track anyway on either my VCR or my Cassette player.. (I like to experiment) -- I know there isnt a track changer on either but hearing 1 would be awesome!! (Maybe ill wait and see if I can find a player there)

I dunno if i have EVER HAD AN 8 TRACK!! (I have seen other ppl with them but I dont think I ever owned one)
Audiokarma
Old 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recently got back into 8-tracks just for the nostalgic element. With a decent player adjusted correctly, they can sound quite good. I have an AKAI CR-81 for recording, and also installed a NOS AM/FM/8-Track player in my '79 Cadillac. Most of the time, I just buy old tapes off Ebay that I don't care about, erase the music, and re-record w/new labels. Here's a pic of one of my homemade tapes (CCR "Cosmo's Factory"):

Old 12-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISawItOnTV View Post
I recently got back into 8-tracks just for the nostalgic element. With a decent player adjusted correctly, they can sound quite good. I have an AKAI CR-81 for recording, and also installed a NOS AM/FM/8-Track player in my '79 Cadillac. Most of the time, I just buy old tapes off Ebay that I don't care about, erase the music, and re-record w/new labels.
Wow, you're pretty hardcore, even I wouldn't go as far as to create labels. I prefer the tapes that were made for recording to begin with. The drawback to recording over pre-recorded tapes is the varying program lengths.

8-tracks were long gone from store shelves by the time I got my first (crappy) stereo with a bunch of them.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

8 Track recorder for car is news to me.I have a Chrysler car cassette recorder like the one in the photos.

The insides look like it was made by Norelco Philips .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg con5sole.jpg (32.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg $T2eC16F,!)sFIZK0gdlrBSSvr3t)Y!~~60_35.JPG (8.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could not imagine what the wow/flutter would be in one of those car cassette or 8track recorders would be as you drive over a bumpy road as you record some tunes or voice .