Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is this worth keeping ???

A friend who does house/estate cleanouts saved this TV for me because he thought it was older than it is (he thought 1950s , clearly it's 1970s at the earliest and for all I know may even be early 1980s?) . I have not yet picked it up . I can see in the picture it says Solid State , but I can't quite make out the name (which looks like it may be Toshiba , but that's just a guess cause I really can't tell what it is with how out of focus it is)

PS , if you do know of the TV , is it B&W or color ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solid State TV.jpg (53.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Peanut Head

Toshiba...and probably colour.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Black & White. It's very unusual, I'd say it's definitely worth keeping. Probably a 1968 model, as it was in newsprint advertising in December of 1967.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/464294250/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tosh.jpg (54.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, methinks I'd hang on to it...
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

+1
Its small so hang on to it.
Its much more common to find these labeled Sears or another
store brand. Sometimes even big US mfg's. If you fix it have
plenty of 'lytics & cleaner on hand ! Even at a few yrs old they
needed them

73 Zeno
LFOD !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Black & White. It's very unusual, I'd say it's definitely worth keeping. Probably a 1968 model, as it was in newsprint advertising in December of 1967.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/464294250/

Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You all for the responses , and especially Thank You to Jim for that ad , I'm happy it's 1960s vintage because that means someone will want it if I don't . When I get it in my hands I'll look it over good , see if it endears itself to me somehow , and if not I'll offer it up for free to any VK member who wants to pick it up in eastern Massachusetts . I'm 3 weeks away from moving from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom and hard decisions are right now being made of what I keep and what gets let go . I'm more of a radio collector although I've already got 3 nice old tube equipped TVs , and if I were to take in any more TVs something else radio wise would have to go .
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked the TV up today , wow it's small ! Way smaller than I had imagined it was from the picture I had of it . I carefully brought it to life with a wattmeter & variac and was happy to see some activity , and then promptly shut it off to preserve the important bits . Here are some shots of it with a 12" ruler for size scale .

Still on the fence with this one , while it's cute as a bug's ear and better than 50 years old , I'm not sure I'd want to put a ton of capacitors and hours into something that's not really my thing (I'm way more vacuum tube than solid state) .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toshiba 1.jpg (64.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Toshiba 2.jpg (64.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Toshiba 3.jpg (75.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Toshiba 4.jpg (82.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Toshiba 5.jpg (48.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I picked the TV up today , wow it's small ! Way smaller than I had imagined it was from the picture I had of it . I carefully brought it to life with a wattmeter & variac and was happy to see some activity , and then promptly shut it off to preserve the important bits . Here are some shots of it with a 12" ruler for size scale .

Still on the fence with this one , while it's cute as a bug's ear and better than 50 years old , I'm not sure I'd want to put a ton of capacitors and hours into something that's not really my thing (I'm way more vacuum tube than solid state) .....
I don't know how willing you would be to ship this thing, But I would be interested in this TV, as I am kind of interested in both tube and early solid state electronics (radios and TVs) and it would be a nice addition to my small collection of vintage TVs I already have.