Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Frenchy

Wtd: scan of Heathkit Vectorscope usage (manual)

I picked up a cheap Vectorscope IO-101 to play around with for my color roundie TVs, but I have no idea how to use the scope part of it. That part does seem to be working, at least I get a green dot and can move it around on the screen. The color bar part started out working, but went kaput about 10 minutes later, can't tune in any useable lines, dots or bars even if I try dialing in the tuner in it with the tuning capacitor #108. Really weird, started out great, now no matter what I try it's a mis-tuned-looking mess on the screen.

But I really only bought it for the scoping functions anyway. Can anybody send me a scan of the how-to-use section, just the areas having to do with the scope? Or if not, just post for me the basics on how to hook this thing up to a tube-type color TV and maybe I can work my way thru it using my old TV repair books. They have some sections on doing vectorgrams. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I think it depended on connecting to the CRT red and blue grids, had little or no internal amplification.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Frenchy

Thanks, haven't tried connecting grid wires yet as I was only trying to get the color bar portion to work, but I'll give that a try. Looking in the manual for my Heathkit bar generator IG-28, looks like the sync plug is an output having to do with the bar generator circuitry itself, not for connecting to the TV anywhere.
Darn bar generator is still honked up. I wonder if it's worth a try to recap these things, but I don't know if these testers are likely to gain improvement from that, vs. a TV that has had thousands of hours of use? Damn if I could only figure out why it worked perfect for 5 minutes, then after that it went south on me.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Frenchy

Somebody is mailing me a duplicate of the manual. I tried the R-Y and B-Y hookup and got a strange ellipsis-with-other-junk diagram on the screen but then I am only looking at a videogame playing on the set (color bars still aren't working.) But my guess is the vector part is probably working ok, I just need to get some clean color bars going into the TV.

As soon as I get the manual copy it might help me diagnose what's wrong with the video output, as well as exactly what kind of vectorgrams this thing is supposed to be able to do, and how. I'm also going to get me a much newer, more capable and more accurate color/dots generator to begin with, just tired of messing with these 40-yr-old units. Even the bars-only Heathkit I have is kinda sucky. I'm in the TV/radio fixing hobby, not the restoring testing equipment hobby. : )