Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Recently BBC America had some Doctor Who specials where they would talk to past doctors and other cast members about that particular era , they'd show clips in 4.3 wand they looked ok ( refering to the Peter Davison one i saw ) but when the interviews were over they decided to show a story 4 parts i think it was , it was panoramic and anoyed me , people shouldn't get wider on the sides and they were all for the sake of filling the 16.9 screen.

mike
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 AM
M is for Memory

Haven't seen nonuniform stretching yet, but a while back when watching Fox News I saw something for the first time that I've been morbidly anticipating for some time....a TRIPLE boxed comercial(once pillar boxed twice letter boxed...my 19" Zenith CCII became like a 10" set, UGH!)! Now broadcast engineering as a field is legitimately dead to me.
When I started seeing double boxed content(letter and pilar) for the first time my reaction was: 'Ugh! you are charging how much for cable?...And you are spending how many million in equipment?...And you morons don't have a device set up to detect and eliminate multiple redundant boxings and fix it by expanding the center to fill the screen!?!?!?'

I mean seriously, either the engineers have their heads WAAAY up their buts, corporate pencil pushers are ordering the engineers to do things that are bad ideas, or no one in the TV broadcast industry gives a CRAP about folks that still have NTSC sets and want PROPERLY down converted content for them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Keep in mind that one of those letterboxes could have come from the production company that made the commercial. There are about 92 different possible reasons for this -- ranging from the whim of the art director on the project to the fact that they needed one duplication format to cover all their airbuys.

Active Format Description can help, but it's not foolproof, as some spots are grouped together by organizations outside the station, and are aired as a "package" rather than individually. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Format_Description

The only way broadcasters will fix stuff like this is for comments to wind up in their FCC public comment file at the station.

And when you're doing a program, it sucks to have to second-guess how your show is going to be presented. Making things "center-cut compatible" eliminates almost 1/3 of the screen area, from a program-critical content standpoint.

Chip
Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Depending on the frequencies you need to receive (which might not be the ones called out by the channel number) you might try plugging your DTV adaptor box into the cable. It should work if those subchannels are being broadcast on low basic-cable channels. The higher you go, the less likely it is that it will work.

You could also try a 'Cleveland special' antenna. They were apparently used back in the day to pull in Cleveland stations while viewing from Lorain, etc.

Chip
Unless the cable system in your area is different, The DTV adaptor boxes will not receive anything from the cable. I inquired at Best-Buy if an adaptor box is available, that will. None available.
My RCA sets that were built in 2008 or newer will. That is, receive the DTV channels and subs that are available on cable.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Unless the cable system in your area is different, The DTV adaptor boxes will not receive anything from the cable. I inquired at Best-Buy if an adaptor box is available, that will. None available.
My RCA sets that were built in 2008 or newer will. That is, receive the DTV channels and subs that are available on cable.
Cable companies have always done everything in their power to prevent individuals from using their own set-top boxes or TV set's tuning capability, no matter what Congress, the FCC, or anyone tries to do to force them. They have never been honest about stating that the only way they could finance the heavily debt-leveraged construction of systems was by continuing to get set top box rental fees. Of course, this puts them in the monopoly position of getting rental fees even if their only effect is to bloat profits on an already-constructed system.
Audiokarma
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

No NBC programing locally at this time.

The racketeers at T/W cable are still negotiating with the local carriers of NBC programming. Definitely no honor among thieves. It is available OTH.
I seldom watch any NBC programming. It's too bad we can't put these crooks in their place.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I saw something for the first time that I've been morbidly anticipating for some time....a TRIPLE boxed commercial
I probably first saw those in 2003. There is a very easy explanation. The commercial was 16:9, but it was on a 4:3 channel that is encoded as 16:9 but displayed on your 4:3 set. No TV station, much less a cable system, is going to on-the-fly change formats to assist various display types. (Europe and maybe other places had a variation of this possibility in the late days of analog TV, when standard-def widescreen TV sets were common there; that may be what Chip was describing.) The only near-cure is a tuner that can remember per-channel "zoom" settings, so that you could fill the 4:3 screen with that 4:3 channel (other than the commercial's 16:9 self-format, which would never get "fixed"). The Zenith DTT-900/901 or Channel Master CM7000 tuners can do this if I remember right, but they are for over-the-air only.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have noticed on NBC network shows in the evening (news, etc.) that immediately after the fade to black before local commercial breaks is about 10 frames of 4x3 -- at evidenced by a slight black level mismatch. Then, the station's programming comes in at whatever its setting is. So, somebody along the chain is using AFD...

What's also interesting is full-height 4x3 commercials within an HD show. Line 21 up top is clearly visible, with the caption data churning away, during the spot. Normally that would be buried in overscan.

Chip