Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You GOTTA wonder what a GM 455 or a FoMoCo 460 could do w/modern OHC-or even DOHC- tech, w/4 valves per cylinder, fuel injection, turbosupercharging, all the little tricks we have nowadays...I'm betting we'd see power approaching 1000 HP, w/all the low-end "Grunt" these mills were famous for. Might even skunk that over-wrought Volkswagen, the Bugatti Veyron W-16... (grin)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Ford came close with the 4.6 v8 I think the one they stuck in the Mustang after the 302.
One version of that engine had OHC, I think it also had 4 Valves per cylinder but I'm
not sure.... I quit following mustangs that close after I got my Preludes..... One thing
limiting power remember was rev limiting because of all the mass of the moving parts..
You just can't move all that metal above 6k rpm without stuff wanting to move away
from center and not come back....

My 351C 1973 was rated at around 160hp if I remember right.... My prelude 1959cc
engine 4V/cyl. DOHC 135 hp so it did almost all the 351 could do at half the size...
That is impressive in my book...... Plus I got more than 2X the life out of it and still
going...... And no rebuild.... Oh, yah.... 2x the gas mileage.......

The 70's cars were fun.... I personally would love a '72 slant 6 dart for fun... And I
really loved my mustang, but today's engineering got them beat easy for daily use...

I'm pretty sure they would not build a 1,000 hp engine for daily use.... The thing would
have to be over 8L in size or it would tear itself up..... The 3.8L Super charged v6 in the
'89 Thunderbirds use to kill the crankshafts cause it put out too much power for what
it was originally designed for.... I think it was '89....

I would however get a kick out of cars today stalling like they did years ago, combined with cell phone texting....

Last edited by Username1; 10-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The 6.8 L V-10 in The Mighty Valdez is pretty impressive, its only SOHC, doesn't have multivalves, turbo, none of that, & is RELATIVELY small, at only 413 CID, but it will pull the Valdez-a 2000 7500 lb 4X4 Excursion, at about ANY rate of speed I wanna go.. And I HAVE embarrassed a couple backwards-cap wearing, "Slammed" Accord pilots w/it.. Gotten a few kicks over the years of popping the hood of my '73 Fleetwood Brougham Caddy, & showing the Slammed Honda crowd what a REAL Amurrican V-8 looked like.. Their l'il motors would barely serve as a starter motor for the big Caddy 472..
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like it. There's one of those at the end of my street, at a body shop, that has been sitting there for years. The outside looks perfect, but there is no interior at all. No dash, nothing. I wonder if it was a flood car or something.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Not sure how I got here.

The young crowd has a different outlook on cars as us older all steel 4" 6-pack+ piston
driven' dudes. Don't forget they racin' others with basically the same cars. Like we raced
a gm v8 against a ford v8.... It wasn't a ford v8 vs a honda VTEC something. And they
already have a computerized almost maxed out engine from the factory. We had squat,
and tons of potential, the old stuff had detuned cams, detuned intakes, and "Y" piped
single exhaust systems holding back the stuff we had as kids.... Most of what kids do
today is lower the car, we jacked up the back, most engine stuff they do does not
improve performance until you add a supercharger. We could replace a cam, intake, and
exhaust and nearly double the power..... Today's kids also have this strange hangup with
mobile earthquake recreation. And those fart cans..... I don't get it....

Last edited by Username1; 10-26-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2014, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've often wondered, if gas had stayed at 35 cents/gallon, how big would have American cars gotten? I wonder how hard it would be to fit the fuel injection/engine controls from a 90s F-series 460 to that Lincoln?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I've often wondered, if gas had stayed at 35 cents/gallon, how big would have American cars gotten? I wonder how hard it would be to fit the fuel injection/engine controls from a 90s F-series 460 to that Lincoln?
I have often wondered that too !

35 cents a gallon, and no EPA pollution rules WOW the Hummer would be looked
at as if it was a tin can by now as it gets bypassed by bigger and bigger models
every year.....

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I find it funny that some of the average cars of old get about the same mileage as the average cars of today. I drove a 65 fury with the slant 6, and it got a rock-solid 20mpg. In town, or on the highway, always 20mpg. I know because the gas gauge was broken, so I had to drive by the odometer and my gas-station receipt

That car was so long I about had to hit the back wall of the garage just to get the door to close behind it!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I find it funny that some of the average cars of old get about the same mileage as the average cars of today. I drove a 65 fury with the slant 6, and it got a rock-solid 20mpg. In town, or on the highway, always 20mpg. I know because the gas gauge was broken, so I had to drive by the odometer and my gas-station receipt

That car was so long I about had to hit the back wall of the garage just to get the door to close behind it!
For the most part it comes down to physics..... Wind resistance, engine size,
and vehicle weight, a gal. of gas will push a weight with rolling resistance, through
the air and deliver this much economy.....

The funny thing is that when they actually make progress, the typical car line
does not realize greater mpg, instead it gets bigger both as a wind drag, and
gains weight.... Look at pickups, even the smallest entry models you need
a step ladder to get into, and the Accords, gaining weight, and getting big...
I think the new ones do about the same as our '91.

Popular Science use to do several speed - mpg tests on cars in the 70's and
a lot of the cars back then got the best mpg at around 45 mph... I'm guessing
it's because the rpm's were around 2100 and wind resistance was pretty low
at that speed....

Last edited by Username1; 10-27-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
For the most part it comes down to physics..... Wind resistance, engine size,
and vehicle weight, a gal. of gas will push a weight with rolling resistance, through
the air and deliver this much economy.....

The funny thing is that when they actually make progress, the typical car line
does not realize greater mpg, instead it gets bigger both as a wind drag, and
gains weight.... Look at pickups, even the smallest entry models you need
a step ladder to get into, and the Accords, gaining weight, and getting big...
I think the new ones do about the same as our '91.

Popular Science use to do several speed - mpg tests on cars in the 70's and
a lot of the cars back then got the best mpg at around 45 mph... I'm guessing
it's because the rpm's were around 2100 and wind resistance was pretty low
at that speed....

Yep. The Mighty Valdez weighs in at 7500 lbs, empty, so w/any load at all, you're right at 8000 lbs. That's 4 TONS...Even if I yanked the V-10 out & transplanted a 300 6 in, I doubt if it would help matters all THAT much, & drivability would suffer.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM
M is for Memory

@ Jon A: If I decide to get rid of my stereo 8-track car stereo I'll have to mention it to ya. I like the quad units mostly because I've been fascinated with the different formats it was issued on, and obtaining them (aside from my CD4 decoder needing repair I can play all formats marketed in the US and record all tape formats)...I wanted to hear quad through tubes bad enough to start building my own quad tube amp (because it was cheaper than getting two more mono blocks) a year and a half ago (it is the best thing I've built to date).

@ jstout66: I hope mine don't spin in the snow. Despite new tires I did have an issue on friday...I was at a light during/immediately after mild drizzle trying to turn on red, and it was inching along with the (seemingly sufficient) gas I was giving it. With the window to get out of the way closing I gradually applied more gas until suddenly the tires audibly spun and it started to actually move...Granted it was at a light and the conditions were right for a surface oil-slick to form on the road.
If any traction issues develop I'll probably leave some kitty-litter or other ballast in the trunk for the winter.

@ Paul Knaack: Not sure. It's hard to tell there even is one under the enormous air filter enclosure (you could serve a turkey on that thing).
Is there a easy way to distinguish them from each other? I've heard of the Autolite carbs being stock, but I've not seen the Holly mentioned...Were those an option or a popular aftermarket mod?

@ Kamakiri: Nice continental. A year or two ago there was a sky blue one for sale in an area I frequently went past, which put put that era of lincoln back on the map for me (when I was a kid there was IIRC a black Mark V in my neighbor hood).
Yours had the coolest (in my book) of the car radios available in those cars. If that radio was not normally 200$+ on fleabay I'd be trying to buy one. There is something that feels out of place seeing a early digital tuned radio with a built in quad 8-track deck...it would be like a LCD TV with SuperBetamax built in.
The Marks seem to have bolt on frame extenders that the rear bumper mounts to, and one of them on mine is not in particularly great shape compared to the other (and the rest of the under carriage seems in better shape compared to them).

I'll comment on more of your comments later tonight after I get home.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-27-2014, 05:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

UGH! I hope it will get around for you okay, I always cussed mine, and said if a bird pooped overhead and one of my tires met it, it would send the car in a spin. I had a 75 Olds 98 Regency before the town car that acted the same way. I had always wondered if it was the brand of tires I had on it (Coopers). I always put new tires on a car after I buy it, and after the Towncar, I swore NEVER to buy that brand again. I got a 66 Plymouth Valiant after the town car that I had Uniroyal tiger paws on it, and that car was like a GOAT in the snow. That damn car would go thru anything. Good luck on yours.. I bet Tim *Kamakari could chime in on some tips. ( he's the car guru)
Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nice find in that condition, Tom. If I had room for maybe ten cars, a Mark V like yours would be the "cruise ship" of choice, nothing else is nearly as cool.

Find a parking lot with "compact car" spaces, then park your car and open both doors wide. See if you can take up FOUR spaces! (Then move it-you do not want anyone to get angry and retaliate.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Better yet, park it across the spaces. Then, open the hood to make it look like it's about to eat the import next to it and snap a photo. I agree, move it afterward though.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 AM
M is for Memory

One bit of work it needs is some exhaust repair. Me and a friend are hoping to find time to do that soon. I've heard it suggested elsewhere that if I were to convert it to dual exhaust I could tack on a few more MPG...If that is the case it might be a good idea to just do it while I'm under there changing out the exhaust.

@ Bgadow: The potential compatibility of the 90's truck fuel injection/engine control had me asking the same question. But I have to wonder if there would be significant benefit in fuel economy or power without one being at the expense of the other? If it would merit doing, and there are no major stumbling blocks it could make for an interesting summer project.

@ Jon A: ROTFL That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. If mine was a 500$ junker (it's not), I'd try to find a smart car to park on the hood like a doggie treat...

@ jstout66: Well if it does like to slide I can always keep it parked when the roads are bad...Or take it out to a vacant un-plowed lot and have some fun trying to drive it sideways.

@ senior squirrel: Speaking of yachts, the last owner of mine was so slow in getting back to me I was looking at other cars, and considered buying a 79' Bill Blass edition lincoln Mark V...Now that version, which is white with the side panels painted navy blue, SCREAMS land yacht much louder than mine can.
Funny you mention loud engines and the Prelude. My friend had a 90's Prelude until this year and it exemplified loud high RPM modern engine. When he would try to accelerate it would quickly comply with a LOUD whiney roar. I've never particularly liked fast noisy little cars. I get the same feeling being in a car that has to really rev to accelerate as I do running a tube radio that hums louder than the audio coming through. And small+fast does not equal safe in my mind. If I'm going to be tempted to go fast I like the idea of something that has some real mass to it surrounding me.
If the old Lincolins are as sturdy or better than the new ones then it is probably as good as driving a tank. My friend was cut off by a Lincoln SUV in his prelude while I was with him which totaled his car, the SUV...It had some scratches, and a side reflector popped off...
I've never got my generations obsession with whiney engines, fart cans, and stereos with ridiculously excessive often distorted bass. Also most modern cars lack the sense of bold style of days gone bye, and the simplicity of design and construction that says "we took the care to make it so that if you want or need to fix it your self you can".
Cars to an extent have the same feel as TVs of their time...Older models have better style and a feel of craftsmanship to them, and while not as densely packed with technological marvels have the benefit of being much easier for the owner to be deeply familiar with, where as more recent cars, engineering marvels as they are, feel like they are made to impress, break and stay broken else live on as crippled horses.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma