Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2022, 06:16 PM
RCA 741PCS

Ekco 267/I restoration

I spotted this foreign looking set at the 2022 ARCI Radiofest. Closer inspection revealed it to be an Ekco 267/I with a broken picture tube and damaged cabinet.

I passed at first but after negotiating a lower price, I wound up with it. I figured it would be interesting to explore even if unrestorable.

It is designed for the 405 scan line system. The tuner covers 9 TV channels plus 3 VHF radio stations.

It has a "spot wobble" feature that helps blur the scan lines.

A little research revealed the the Mazda CRM171 picture tube is pretty much the same as a common US 17", 70 degree, 12 pin base CRT. Aluminized with an external ion trap magnet. 12.6 volt, 300 mA filament.

I'm thinking I can make something like a 17BP4 or 17HP4 work by using a 6.3 VAC filament transformer.

I'd need to modify the HV connector, but otherwise the dimensions look very similar. Even the base connector and pinout are the same

It is a hot chassis, series strung design using 300mA tubes. 200-250 volts AC/DC. There is a plug matrix and big, tapped power resistor to select the operating voltage.

It's actually fairly clean and looks to be complete inside.