Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
Well young man, you know it all so don't expect too much help when you have a question. If you think that replacing tubes is all you need to do then you are in for a big surprise. If you think that turning the set on and off will reform every capacitor, then you know something I don't. Some capacitors will reform termporarily or sometimes for quite a while but the chances that they will stay that way are slim. Every television set you own has bad capacitors. It's just a question of how many, probably all of them. We haven't even gotten to resistor problems yet. You don't listen and we have better things to do than beat our heads against the wall. You are blowing a 5U4 in your other set and you don't know why!! "I turned it on and off a bunch of times so I know the filter capacitors are good". I just can't believe it. Maybe there is a forum with other teenagers that like old TV's. Then you guys can compare notes since we don't know anything. You can have a contest to see how many old sets you can blow up. The winner (actually the loser) gets to keep all the now junk sets. Don't pay much for your sets. They are not going to last very long.
no no no no you guys know more than i do tvtimeisfun is the one that taght me to do this im not saying their going to last forever it gets them going just enough to watch them for a while im not saying it reformes any it just keeps them from smoking from sitting so long, and in the sylvania tvtimeisfuns friend did that at etf

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggregg View Post
excellent!!

We need young people in this hobby to carry on the tradition and keep these things alive. But there is a difference between repairing/restoring and just playing as this young man just pointed out.

I retract my comment above. There are knowlegable young folks here.

My advice to Radiotron at this point is, spend a few bucks and get a fire extingusher and make sure your parents have your health insurance up to date.
when they stop working i take them to my grandpas, and he shows me what to do,supplys me with parts, and we fix them and im in the middle of recapping a 1957 sylvania slim jim
ps is this thread turning into a see how much you can talk down radiotron?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotron View Post
... is this thread turning into a see how much you can talk down radiotron?

Only if you keep it up.

Nobody here wants to see any old sets uselessly burned up, and you, my friend, are not listening.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM

i come here tob share my tv sets, and you just blab on about its bad to have original parts in your WORKING tv if you want to complain tell tvtimeisfun, he is the one that has taught me to do this
im thinking about not posting more sets at all by the way the only thing wrong with the arvin was it had a weak 6dq6, and a weak 5u4

Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Only if you keep it up.

Nobody here wants to see any old sets uselessly burned up, and you, my friend, are not listening.
their not being burned up, all my sets but 2 work

Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last comment. I got chewed up last week because I've been running my DuMont for short times still full of wax capacitors. I've replaced some of them with orange drops, and have good clear loud sound. I replaced high voltage capacitors and have 12KV of high voltage. The next chance I get to work on it will be to find out why I have no raster of anykind. I dont have all the voltages at the CRT that I need, and once I can see something to prove that the CRT is OK, I will proceed. I've got a list of every wax and black beauty capacitor in this set, and also some micas that are known to fail.

Nobody is trying to insult you.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Learning as I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post

Nobody here wants to see any old sets uselessly burned up.

This
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
This
nope this works now!
keep blabbing on and on couse you guys sure know how to hurt a 12 year olds fellings
tvtimeisfun tought me he does this if you guys want to complain tell HIM!
im just about done with this site

Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

You are the one who keeps posting these dumbass questions and answers. If these comments hurt your feelings, sometimes the truth hurts.

If you want to learn to restore these sets, then this is the place to come for answers. If all you want to do is play with them, which is all you are doing now, then we don't really have any help for you. No one is going to want to give you any information when you are possibly getting yourself into a dangerous situation and everyone, so far, except you, has recognized it. If you are actually restoring sets with your grandfather, great. Sharing the time with him and learning is exactly what you need right now. But most of your posts say otherwise and you need to fix your sets before they die. They won't die, if you follow proper procedures. You are burning up tubes and have problems that we have recognized and yet you continue to argue that you know what you are doing. You are trying to go too far, too fast. Common problem when you are young. Listen to what you are being told. Quit arguing that you know what you are doing when it's obvious to everyone, except you, that you don't. It's great that you have found this hobby but you have much, much to learn. Quit arguing and start reading and listening. We will help you when you are ready to accept it and grow up a little.

Last edited by ggregg; 09-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Closed at OP's request.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread