Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hickok 203 vtvm

I recently acquired another beautiful and super well constructed unit by Hickok. The 203 is a bit older I believe than my monolithic 209A, but performs MOST of the same functions and is reasonably accurate considering age and original components.

I venture to say that a little calibration or perhaps a cap/resistor or two would have this meter about spot on accurate. It is a Hickok after all! Just wondering if anyone else here has one or had one and what stories or advice may be out there.

On a side note: While checking tubes I noticed that the 6SN7 had a red base. I pulled it and it was an RCA 5692. I wasn't aware that there were these hot rod tubes out back then, but there was and it's one of them. Pretty pricey everywhere I have looked. I put it to the side for safe keeping and put in a well balanced 6SN7GTB. No difference in performance which is what I expected in this application. Still cool that the tube is worth more than I paid for the unit.