Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I know the feeling of trying to give away a nice working TV and can't. When I was a kid, I was happy with the 9" GE B&W, with no cable, that my parents let me use. Kids today think they are entitled to the latest HD TV and it's their parents who made them that way. Even when the cable company goes digital, they will provide a converter and you'll need that same converter, regardless of how new your TV is.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated at selling or giving away perfectly good CRT TV's. I'd like to join flat panel HD community, but I have perfectly good 10 year old CRT TV's that may outlive me!

When I was a kid, my first working TV was my grandparent's old Zenith B&W 21" table model from the mid 50's. They bought a newer TV and rather than trade in the old TV (yeah back eons ago, TV dealers actually accepted trade-ins!), they gave it to me as a Christmas gift when I was in junior high school. The picture tube was almost gone, but I watched it for a couple of years, before saving up enough to buy a brand new 12" B&W set.

And I completely agree with you about the sense of entitlement that kids nowadays all seem to have!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have 3 broken decent sized flat screens that I thought about trying to fix and sell; but, the cost of new flat screens seems to be coming down daily. So, people are not going to pay much for a used one; which, limits what I can spend on the set and still make a profit. Another factor is that if the TV stops working (or, they hit it with something and break the screen) within the first six months, they'll expect me to take care of it for nothing. Frankly, it's not worth the trouble.

As far as CRT TV's, I recently had a '93 Toshiba 19" that I tried to sell for $15. The only two people who were interested backed out when they found out it didn't have A/V input jacks ($15 and they expect the moon). There was a time that I could have easily gotten $75-$100 for the same TV, in short order. I had two other CRT TV's that I didn't even bother to advertise. Someone from a flea market showed up and bought the TV's as part of a package deal with some other stuff (it averaged out to about $10/TV). His flea market is in a rural area, where he has a lot of older customers. He said that they'd still buy an old TV because most of them are not trying to "keep up with the Joneses." Instead, they only want a cheap working TV.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 PM
M is for Memory

You probably could have got a new CRT for the 21" for comparable $ and had a bigger
screen...

The thrifts around here sometimes let BPCs go for 0.50$ when they got a bunch.
You can't give a SS set to me unless it has a deltagun CRT or signal tubes in it...That is unless I happen to need HV wire and 470uF 200V caps...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

had a guy give us 2 sets yesterday at the tv shop. a 25" rca and a 20" emerson. i put the rca up front for $40.00 and the darn thing sold within 2 hours.
i didnt bring the emerson up front it is a funia made set and they do have a good picture on them.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaman View Post
had a guy give us 2 sets yesterday at the tv shop. a 25" rca and a 20" emerson. i put the rca up front for $40.00 and the darn thing sold within 2 hours.
i didnt bring the emerson up front it is a funia made set and they do have a good picture on them.
maybe to a disgruntled flat screen owner. I am watching the ole miss/auburn game on my sony trinitron from 1972, super sharp and great color.
Audiokarma