Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Not sure what you mean here. "Square pixels" is a lousy term.....
This is a commonplace term to indicate that the pixel spacing is equal on H and V axes. By contrast to SD digital systems where the spacing is not equal.

As oldtvnut correctly points out, in all sampling theory the idealised sample is infinitesimal in length. (Dirac delta function if anyone is that interested). In TV this is generalised to 2 dimensions rather than one. Practical pixels have a finite size and shape. For LCD displays and CCD cameras this ideally approaches a square having the same dimensions as the pixel spacing. This gives a zero order hold function and hence a loss of HF response on both axes which follows a sin(x)/x curve.

The point I am trying to make is that the assumptions which underpin Kell Factor stem from the days when H scanning was a continuous function while vertical scan was sampled. These assumptions may well not apply when the picture is inherently sampled at the sensor on both axes. As a thought experiment consider a sensor and/or display where each pixel can be individually addressed. They can then be read or written in an arbitrary sequence*. I can conceive that this might affect motion protrayal (motion above a very slow rate is aliased in TV systems) but I cannot see how it might affect our perception of H and V resolution. Hence the Kell factor of a progressively scanned system using modern techniques should be unity.

I may have overlooked something here. For example unless there is some kind of optical filter before the sensor there can be H and V aliasing. Or there may be performance problems of the sensor that affect the axes differently.

*In doing this thought experiment I was influenced by BBC Research Report 1991/4 "Image Scanning using a Fractal Curve" by John Drewery. http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications..._1991_04.shtml John Drewery had a superb understanding of scanning, sampling and spectra. Back in about 1975 I remember him demonstrating the 3 dimensional spectrum of TV signals (PAL in this case) using some wonderful models that he had the BBC Research Dept workshop make from pieces of coloured PTFE. Nowadays this would have been done by computer graphics.

Last edited by ppppenguin; 08-03-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Audiokarma