Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

13" Panasonic color video monitor from '83

Here's a 13" Panasonic monitor that was in with a bunch of stuff I got from the local TV station. Before I go any further, let me say that I did clean some of the dirt off of it and I also cleaned the magic marker writing from the CRT that said that the tube was shot before posting the pictures.

This looks like basically a tunerless Panasonic 13" TV; and, in fact, I've seen the same main chassis in some 13" and 17" Panasonic TV's and some GE TV's that used a Panasonic chassis (the GE chassis designation was "BC").

Every one of the standard TV versions of this chassis that I've seen either had a bad flyback or the flyback soon went bad after I got it. I recall one GE that I fixed and while it was playing on the bench; the picture pulled in on the sides, horizontal fell out of sync, and the TV started squealing. Before I could pull the plug - POW!!!!, SMOKE!!!, STINK!!! and then the flyback physically had a crack around the case with windings hanging out of the crack.

I plugged in this monitor and it snapped and started squealing, just like the GE did before the big bang. So, I yanked the plug and I might make a youtube video of the flyback self-EOL'ing.

I was going to check/rejuvenate the CRT; but, I don't have adapter #CR30 for my B&K rejuvenator. If the CRT is toast and the flyback really is bad, this monitor is probably not worth fixing. Heck, given the unpopularity of CRT TV repair, I might not even be able to get the flyback.

The station had two or three more of these and I may grab them when I go back. If I can get the others, I might can take 2 or 3 and make one good one.

If you notice on the back, it has a VTR plug, as well as a BNC video input and RCA audio input. If I get this working, I assume it will be happy with a standard video signal from a DVD player or DTV converter?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Analogue is Awesome

She looks nice buddy!!

I hope you can get things running smoothly and enjoy beautiful content

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

If it is toast and the AC interlock has round instead of flat pins, I could use the power cord from it for a Panasonic switcher I have with no cord.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is going to sound crazy but:
I had one of these Panasonics WITH the tuner. The model with the red LED channel readout and the magnetic spot for placing the remote control to the cabinet.
This chassis looks the same...It was the one which, upon powering down, collapsed the raster into a 2" by 2" square, and the picture just dimmed and dimmed until it was not visible. I've never seen any CRT display exhibit that behavior.
Come to think of it, maybe it was a defect. Mostly all of my early 80s sets were ruined in a flood, sadly.
So, what did Color Pilot mean technically? Was it pure marketing gimmick?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think "colorpilot" was their marketing term for the auto color preset button.
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was Colorpilot a more upscale model from the other Panasonics of the time? What about Quintrex or what ever it was? Where does that fall in?
Old 03-15-2014, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the Quintrex badge was applied to older models to designate an inline gun CRT.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set. How much was MSRP on that ?
Old 03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I think the Quintrex badge was applied to older models to designate an inline gun CRT.
Thank you!!