Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

I finally gave up on the retracting mechanism and just put the light up at a set length. The spiral spring in there was bent back on itself and I tried to bend it back - but that didn't work, it just broke. Then, I pulled the spring out of another lamp - but that one didn't have enough springiness left in it to actually pull the lamp back up after it was down. It looks good even if it doesn't retract, I'll post a picture later.

I'm working on that 1920s one now, and I want to strip all the old paint off it and repaint it, but am not having much luck finding paint in a similar color (I was hoping to just find spray paint in a can) - it's sort of a nonmetallic copper color. Has anyone found anything that looks good for these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0683.jpg (52.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Adam; 02-12-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I finally gave up on the retracting mechanism and just put the light up at a set length. The spiral spring in there was bent back on itself and I tried to bend it back - but that didn't work, it just broke. Then, I pulled the spring out of another lamp - but that one didn't have enough springiness left in it to actually pull the lamp back up after it was down. It looks good even if it doesn't retract, I'll post a picture later.

I'm working on that 1920s one now, and I want to strip all the old paint off it and repaint it, but am not having much luck finding paint in a similar color (I was hoping to just find spray paint in a can) - it's sort of a nonmetallic copper color. Has anyone found anything that looks good for these?
We had one of those pull-down dinette table fixtures I installed in a place we rented. After installing it, lamped it with the proper wattage lamps and installed the grass diffuser. After an hour, the glass shattered! I know, I didn't overtighten it. We replaced it with a cheap plastic replacement.
We only moved the height a few times in the ten years we lived there!