Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Door Hardware

I know this is a TV forum, but am always amazed by the knowledge here, so I will see if anyone here can help me with an issue I'm having with an old door latch.

The latch is circa 1938 - 1941. This latch no longer retracts when the knob is turned. It's one of those latches that has a square threaded rod with knobs screwed on to each end and locked with as set screw. When I removed the latch I noticed it had two screws to open up the body. When I did, I noticed that the part that turns no longer has anything to push. It appears the two ears broke off. Since it has screws, I'm assuming it was meant to be fixed if needed. The only thing is, I don't know how to properly describe the pieces or where to look.

I will attach a picture of it with green outlines around the broken section.

Hope some one here can clue me in so I can get this piece replaced or find an updated latch that will fit.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken Latch.jpg (46.9 KB, 27 views)

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks pretty much like a new one. Try a local hardware first
then the big boys. Keep in mind most things are standard
sizes for many generations & you may be able to just drop
one in with a little trimming at most.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you don't manage to find something that works for you, let me know. Just up the road from me, out here in the boonies is a guy who specializes in old doors and windows. He has piles and piles of old hardware and is my go-to for old door and sash hardware. Dunno if he ships but if not I can pick up and send along.

EDIT: I just checked and he does have a web presence:

http://www.knobsession.com/
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post

73 Zeno
LFOD !
If there's a Housing For Humanity Restore nearby, they probably have it.
It seems, they are opening stores just about everywhere.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

What brand is it? The plate where the latch is should have a brand. This looks easy to find. Do you want it original or just functional? If you want it original can probably seek out a Yale or Corbin or etc part on eBay. If functional see below for a modern replacement which will likely work.

Something like this should work:

https://www.charlestonhardware.com/p...FQuAfgodg6QBxw

The critical dimensions are from the edge of the door to the center of the hole the knob's shaft passes through and the size of the shaft itself. I would say the one you have now is beyond repair, but a replacement should be easy to find.

Last edited by maxhifi; 01-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Duck, you sucker!

I am trying to keep them original as I don't want to modify the door or jamb, but if I can find an exact size replacement, I would be willing. It has no finish. I guess it was designed to be painted along with the door or left alone (would rust a bit in a wet environment, I would imagine.

The latch is for a Murphy bed closet door. The handles are bakelite and the escutcheons are also bakelite. I guess I could get away with a replacement with a satin nickle finish if need be.

As for the manufacturer, that's an odd one. It has "Made in the U.S.A., Patent Pending" on one side and "HOLLYMADE" on the other. No other markings but a "Z" and a "3".

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Old 01-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
If there's a Housing For Humanity Restore nearby, they probably have it.
It seems, they are opening stores just about everywhere.
I stopped by one of their stores out here. They don't have much in the way of things I was looking for. I will check another Restore a bit farther away and see.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post

73 Zeno
LFOD !
You're probably right. I am a stickler for keeping things original, but if I can't, I will go that route.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
What brand is it? The plate where the latch is should have a brand. This looks easy to find. Do you want it original or just functional? If you want it original can probably seek out a Yale or Corbin or etc part on eBay. If functional see below for a modern replacement which will likely work.

Something like this should work:

https://www.charlestonhardware.com/p...FQuAfgodg6QBxw

The critical dimensions are from the edge of the door to the center of the hole the knob's shaft passes through and the size of the shaft itself. I would say the one you have now is beyond repair, but a replacement should be easy to find.
I'm assuming it's "Hollymade" as that's the only word on it that not about patent to where it was made.

I like the ones on the site you noted, but they don't have any satin other than in black.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
If you don't manage to find something that works for you, let me know. Just up the road from me, out here in the boonies is a guy who specializes in old doors and windows. He has piles and piles of old hardware and is my go-to for old door and sash hardware. Dunno if he ships but if not I can pick up and send along.

EDIT: I just checked and he does have a web presence:

http://www.knobsession.com/
Some pretty cool stuff on that site.

Audiokarma