Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
RCA 741PCS

Stromberg Carlson TV-12 scored

There was a listing for the past few weeks on my local craigslist for a Stromberg Carlson set with no pictures. From the description it sounded like a console so I passed on it. Then Kevin got his TV-125 and I figured I better check it out for spare parts if nothing else.

The seller replied with this photo and I recognized it as an early, uncommon set and made arrangements for a visit

When I arrived and could see it in person, I immediately noticed it had been refinsihed badly It was stripped and sanded aggressively - right through the veneer in some areas. Then clearcoated with poly. No stain, toner or grain filler. That I don't mind so much as it can be refinished but the veneer loss is a drag. You may have noticed it still has the original decals. That threw me at first, then I got it into better light and saw the refinisher had sanded around them. There's a wavy band of darker, original finish around the decals.

On top of that, the speaker cloth has been replaced with some modern plasticy stuff more at home in an amp. Also, the tuning escutcheon's original patina/paint (?) has been polished off, one knob is not right and the back is missing.

M3-SRT8 has a similar TS-10 in very good condition.shown here. There's also a beautiful blonde at the ETF.

OK so much for the cosmetics, what about the insides ? Well, the seller had been powering the set up and fooling around with it before I contacted him and had it on when I got there. The screen had a full raster with a dark spot in the middle and some static was coming out of the speaker. That ion burn really had be puzzled at the time. How could that happen unless it had been rebuilt with a straight gun ? Later I read up on the 12JP4 and had my answer.
I ended up purchasing it, brought it home and examined more closely in the garage. What a back breaker! Now for the good - aside from the tubes it's 100% percent original inside

Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score Bob.....does it got channel 1???
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I guess I'm not the world's worst refinisher anymore!

Nice set. Good luck with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Workin' Late Again

You'll have that looking like a million bucks in no time. Meanwhile I'll still be blasting mouse poo off my 125

I think your dial bezel looks stock, at least according to this combo version on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stro...71132609199%26

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 01-11-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Good to save such a ancient old TV

Black death run upon screen? So sad it ruins like old TV is wept!

I appreciate!
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusnyder View Post
Nice score Bob.....does it got channel 1???
Yes, it sure does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
You'll have that looking like a million bucks in no time. Meanwhile I'll still be blasting mouse poo off my 125

I think your dial bezel looks stock, at least according to this combo version on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stro...71132609199%26
Thanks, but I bet you'll beat me. I have a few project ahead of it like my 630TS. Hmm, good point about the bezel. Every other picture I found showed it darkened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
Well, I guess I'm not the world's worst refinisher anymore!

Nice set. Good luck with it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjarali View Post

Good to save such a ancient old TV

Black death run upon screen? So sad it ruins like old TV is wept!

I appreciate!
Thanks The "black death" will clean off easily It's just melted CRT gasket material.

I wouldn't normally power a set up without inspecting the chassis, but the previous owner had it running when I picked it up.

I tried tuning in the FM band and a local video source, but no luck. I got a lot of crackling and noise when I wiggled the tuning knob which makes me wonder if the inductuner shaft might be broken

The 12JP4 is actually fairly bright, but has a nasty ion burn

Last edited by bandersen; 01-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Administrator

All the 12JP4's i've run across had that burn, it's usually not so noticeable with a picture on the screen.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Dumont RA-103 appears to have its original Dumont 12JP4 and also has the ion burn. The restored set is a good performer with a nice sharp picture. If you look for it you can see the ion burn but otherwise it is quite watchable. You may just need to clean your tuner, as mine had similar performance before I cleaned. Cleaning made a huge improvement.

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
RCA 741PCS

There are some great pictures of this cabinet and back in an old etsy auction. They confirm that the tuning escutcheon is correct as Kevin suggested

I wonder if reproduction grille cloth is available in this pattern

I also wonder if Amptech Systems could fabricate a reproduction back ?

Last edited by bandersen; 01-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Dead from the neck up

We can. John has the same set with its original back.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Workin' Late Again

Wow, and that was only the cabinet that sold. Where are these things when a guy needs them. I hate to think of what a one-off reproduction back could cost. But that's just me being very cheap.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

In my opinion the ion burn is very forgivable on this rare set and I wouldn't replace it. It's just part of it's character. The set is truley a unique and worthy of a detailed resto. I have no doubt you can do it Bob!
Joe
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
By the Time that Bob get to restoring this Set, it will be like an "old Hat" to Him, He will have done so many of them, that He will have lost Count.. And so will we.. But, who Cares, He makes Such Great Video's, and We all want more.. Thank You Bob for the Great work You do.. And the inspiration, that You give to the rest of us who are only on a first set or two.. You are a guide to those of us who are blind, But, looking for a way in the Dark.. The Dark world of the unknown that Brings Back to life, the Sets that some would say are Lost forever and they turn out better than ever..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That this set has SOMEHOW managed to survive w/the Gawdawful refinishing job, nasty Black Goo on the screen, Ion Burn, etc, is quite remarkable in & of itself, when you think about it...
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Workin' Late Again

Some people see that Black Goo and just run off screaming and waving their hands in the air.
Audiokarma