Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

It LOOKS like you have the orange-drop safety caps (on side of flyback) and if so....you should NOT need to worry about failure. I am not saying they NEVER fail--but I KNOW they are far more reliable than the tubular AR caps.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
It LOOKS like you have the orange-drop safety caps (on side of flyback) and if so....you should NOT need to worry about failure. I am not saying they NEVER fail--but I KNOW they are far more reliable than the tubular AR caps.
And what about the under chassis? Isn't there supose to be safety caps under there also?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Need a better pix of the right side--to tell for sure. ALL of the right side, near the HV area.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Congrats dude. You have French Provincial gold right there.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Congrats dude. You have French Provincial gold right there.
Hey thanks! And you know what? It works! I decided to plug it and see what kind of results I might have. To my suprise, it wasn't too hard to set it to get an acceptable image. But, hey it wouldn't be fun if it was 100% good... so here goes : 2 problems I can see right away.

A part of the screen is darker. When I watch a movie its not THAT noticable, but its fairly evident in the THX setup. Secondly, when I want to set up the convergence , it's like all the color are too strong and even if they are perfectly aligned, some colors are too "fat" and they come on top no mater what (see picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25CC55-4.jpg (79.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 25CC55-5.jpg (61.1 KB, 37 views)
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2015, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard View Post
Hey thanks! And you know what? It works! I decided to plug it and see what kind of results I might have. To my suprise, it wasn't too hard to set it to get an acceptable image. But, hey it wouldn't be fun if it was 100% good... so here goes : 2 problems I can see right away.

A part of the screen is darker. When I watch a movie its not THAT noticable, but its fairly evident in the THX setup. Secondly, when I want to set up the convergence , it's like all the color are too strong and even if they are perfectly aligned, some colors are too "fat" and they come on top no mater what (see picture).
Dream Beard Hi ... I'm glad to see that the image is in its full size so I can see your thombsnails..I see you working on Zenit.Dès that you will have the chance, make a video for I make me an idea of what it could have taken all if I had had a little more time ..

Last edited by Marco-nix; 04-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

What did you hit for the image back to normal?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

When you do convergence turn the brightness & contrast
down so its not to bright. Be sure the focus is as good as
it can be. Use dots not cross hatch if you have dots.
Start with JUST the center using the 4 magnets.
When center done follow the instructions for the rest.
You will go back & forth till its done & the edges will NEVER
be perfect.
BTW its easier to lean over the set than use a mirror IF your
arms are long enough........

The black blob is probably in the blanking circuit. I have
seen something like it a few times but dont remember
the brand or anything else.

73 Zeno
Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
What did you hit for the image back to normal?
Hey there Denis,
All it took to get rid of the 3/4 inch gap at the bottom of the screen was to play with the two controls for : vertical linearity and vertical centering. They are located behind the right speaker. I thought at first that it might have been a bad cap, but nope, only misajusted controls.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
When you do convergence turn the brightness & contrast
down so its not to bright. Be sure the focus is as good as
it can be. Use dots not cross hatch if you have dots.
Start with JUST the center using the 4 magnets.
When center done follow the instructions for the rest.
You will go back & forth till its done & the edges will NEVER
be perfect.
BTW its easier to lean over the set than use a mirror IF your
arms are long enough........

The black blob is probably in the blanking circuit. I have
seen something like it a few times but dont remember
the brand or anything else.

73 Zeno
Yes, I first did the convergence with too much contrast, picture seemed washed out, so I backed out the contrast a little and thats when the color lines appeared. I believe that both my 19'' hybrid and this one suffers from the same problem : bad convergence. I thought that I did a good job on them both, but on further examination it's not that great, and I notice a lot of color fringing on both of them. Will put more effort on that.

As for the blob, is it a dangerous problem? Could something blow and damage something else along with it?

Edit : Also I would like to know if all the dynamic convergence pot are suppose to turn smoothly...some do and some need a little convincing to turn. Could dirty pots affect the convergence (much like dirty volume pot can create some scratching and distortion?)

Got this to clean the pots do you think it will do the job ? : http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...-cleaner-401b/ . I know its desing exacly for that but just wanted to get opinion on that stuff before using it.

thanks!

Last edited by Dreamsbeard; 04-12-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2015, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

they are wirewounds and not meant to be moved a lot, so yes they are a little hard to turn. if they are not rusted then they are prob as good as they are going to be. they prob have dug into the wire having not been moved for decades, so prob have a spot where they will feel different.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:20 PM
M is for Memory

Make sure to turn color down to non-existent before converging the screen. Sometimes sharp contrast transitions can create IF/video ringing that is of the right frequency to trigger the chroma decoder to generate a false artificial fringe around the bar.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hey there Denis,
All it took to get rid of the 3/4 inch gap at the bottom of the screen was to play with the two controls for : vertical linearity and vertical centering. They are located behind the right speaker. I thought at first that it might have been a bad cap, but nope, only misajusted controls.

ah ok then it not working too bad .. I hope so I Souis glad you could do something for television because I had not much time to touch it. At least she is in good hands ..
Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Make sure to turn color down to non-existent before converging the screen. Sometimes sharp contrast transitions can create IF/video ringing that is of the right frequency to trigger the chroma decoder to generate a false artificial fringe around the bar.
I redid the convergence with the colors turned off (and did a pretty good job of it). It improved things a bit, but when I put the colors back I am still getting blue and red fringing and that affect the picture quality. At the moment it's like I'm watching TV with a coating of vaseline on it.

I am sure CC can give a very good picture, but it seems I'm going to need some help to get there.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I redid the convergence with the colors turned off (and did a pretty good job of it). It improved things a bit, but when I put the colors back I am still getting blue and red fringing and that affect the picture quality. At the moment it's like I'm watching TV with a coating of vaseline on it.

I am sure CC can give a very good picture, but it seems I'm going to need some help to get there.
What is happening is the sharp monochrome contrast transition is being interpreted by the chroma circuits as a color signal. To fix this (assuming a good combo of fine tune and chroma level don't fix it) you will need to re-align the chroma bandpass amp and or the RF/IF system...Or you could just live with it (as I've done on a couple of sets until I can get an alignment rig together and practice).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma