Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Coming home with a Buickload

Visited Danny today and picked up my 1966 RCA CTC-25 Dorrance. Also found a 1985 Panasonic 4 head VCR at an estate sale for 5 bucks, and it works. On the way back from Atlanta now, in the rain. The Dorrance cabinet is in the trunk covered in plastic.

Last edited by TUD1; 06-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Good haul!

One question about the Buick: does it have the nearly-indestructible 3800 engine?
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM
TheUniversalDave1

It is a 1998 Buick LeSabre Custom with 166,500 miles on the clock. It has the 3800 Series II.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Funny anecdote.....I had a picture tube shield just like that sitting in my garage from a parted out God knows what from years ago. I used it to make a new lower quarter panel for my '62 Mercury a couple months ago
Old 12-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Would love to see pictures of the cabinet when you get everything unloaded.
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is this the one that someone bleached the cabinet?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
It is a 1998 Buick LeSabre Custom with 166,500 miles on the clock. It has the 3800 Series II.
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The Buick 3800s are probably the finest American-built engines in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:20 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Funny anecdote.....I had a picture tube shield just like that sitting in my garage from a parted out God knows what from years ago. I used it to make a new lower quarter panel for my '62 Mercury a couple months ago
Hope you remembered to degauss it before painting it so that light blue paint job don't develop pink and green blotches.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
"Book em Dano!"

The buick 3800 is probably the best V6 GM ever made hands down. They're reliable(aside from intake leaks). There a LOT of well made american engines(most are not made anymore) I drive Ford trucks and the best ones were built in the 90's(300 sixes) were bullet proof but we dont make inline 6's anymore. I have an 06 with a 3 valve 5.4, so far so good at 163K MILES. People will poo poo them but maintenence is the key.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:48 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Here is the Dorrance in its new home. Had a mishap when putting the tuner in, it somehow got crooked and the knobs wouldn't go on straight. Ended up breaking a small piece of the plastic on the mask. I stuck it back in and it was fine. Unfortunately, that's not the only casualty. The top left coil on the convergence board snapped off, but the wires are still attached, so it still works.

Last edited by TUD1; 06-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2016, 12:19 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very nice. I bought and sold a boatload of used CTC25's back in the late '70's when I was in college.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I and a friend actually managed to put two console sets into the trunk of my 1964 Coupe deVille. I repaired them and sold them. Ah, the olden days when I could get away with such crazyness...
Old 12-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I drive Ford trucks and the best ones were built in the 90's(300 sixes) were bullet proof but we dont make inline 6's anymore. I have an 06 with a 3 valve 5.4, so far so good at 163K MILES. People will poo poo them but maintenence is the key.
Amen to that. Most people think "Ford" and "lemon" are synonymous. Our 1984 Mercury Lynx went through two abusive owners before we got it in 1992. By the time we got it there was a leak in the oil pan, the brakes needed a lot of work, a driveshaft had broken and the parking brake was toast. Seems counter-intuitive that the clutch was fine; perhaps it was replaced shortly before the car was parked. Once fixed up it ran just fine while we had it, powered through snow like a 4x4 and was great on gas. The only problem we had with it was the brakes on the left rear wheel seizing once. One quarter panel had a lot of Bondo and the edge of the hatch was rusted through, but I saw cars like it in great shape years later. As you said maintenance is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I and a friend actually managed to put two console sets into the trunk of my 1964 Coupe deVille. I repaired them and sold them. Ah, the olden days when I could get away with such crazyness...
I still do and have no plans to stop. For instance, yesterday I hauled a 25V set 2.73 miles (4.4 kilometers)* on a four-wheel dolly before I caught a ride the rest of the way. Tomorrow I'm going to the same place to get another big set!

* I always plug my return route into MapQuest or Google to get the distance when hauling something big on foot. The dolly is a convertible unit and easily toted around by bus.

Last edited by Jon A.; 12-18-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:56 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I had an entire tube era electronic organ in the trunk of my 78 Lincoln Mark V....And The trunk lid was an inch or two shy of latching.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Had 48 cases of empty Bud tall boys in my 76 Coupe Deville.
Had to put some on the back seat. All N.H. cans that didnt
have deposits & the beer was cheaper also. Turned them
in in Mass. Pure profit.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma