Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Suggestion: Rename some of the TV forums?

I see that there's now a "Solid State w/CRT" forum, and we still have the "Rect. & Solid State" forum as well as the "Transistor portable" forum...

Might be a little confusing for visitors, and maybe even for veterans in some cases, as there is a redundancy.

How about if we were to rename the afore mentioned forums to the following two:

"CRT solid-state sets; 8" & above" (formerly "Rectangular & solid state"), and "CRT Mini, Micro, and Pocket TVs; 7" & below" (formerly "Transistor Portables")

Charles
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

The key deciding factor in where to post something, though, is the "AC/DC" part. Pretty much, if it takes or can take batteries, it's for the portables arena.

I tried to make the descriptions as clear as possible, maybe if we rewrite something there it might become a bit more clear? Remember, Portables can also be those LCD Citizen sets as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 2 cents (or less) worth:

Quote:
Early B&W and Projection TV
Everything from exotic small screen pre-war sets to the Philco Predictas
Perhaps:
Early B&W Direct view and Projection TV
Everything from exotic small screen pre-war sets to the Philco Predictas, around 1959

(sets an approximate upper time limit... ie no 60s and later sets, no later color projection sets)
Quote:
Early Color Television
Discussions of experimental color televisions, and round screen production models, ending around 1966.
Perhaps:
Early Color Television
Discussions of experimental and production color televisions, up to the last of the round screen models, around 1966.

(allows early rectangular)
Quote:
Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions
Televisions that contain tubes and rectangular screens, both color and B&W
Perhaps:
Later Color and B&W Televisions
Later, *mostly* vacuum tube-powered televisions with rectangular screen CRTs, both color and B&W.

(gets the color & B&W in the title and *allows* rectangular screens in earlier categories, where appropriate, allows some solid state devices)
Quote:
Solid State CRT Televisions
Transistor televisions with cathode ray tubes produced from the early 1970s to the present day
Perhaps:
Solid State Color and B/W CRT Televisions
*Mostly* solid state-powered televisions with cathode ray tubes produced from the early 1970s to the present day.

(allows a few tubes, such as HV rectifier. )
Quote:
Transistor Portable Televisions
Encompassing all AC/DC and battery operated sets from the Philco Safari to the present day
Fine!
Quote:
Flat Panels & Digital Format
New television technology, including plasma, flat panel, and television broadcast formats.
Fine!
jr
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
The key deciding factor in where to post something, though, is the "AC/DC" part. Pretty much, if it takes or can take batteries, it's for the portables arena.

I tried to make the descriptions as clear as possible, maybe if we rewrite something there it might become a bit more clear? Remember, Portables can also be those LCD Citizen sets as well.
How about maybe "Mini, Micro, and Pocket TVs" in stead of "Transistor portables", as I think that a screen size parameter would clear up (for those visiting & new), the difference between a full-size portable transistorized TV from the early 70s and the minis... One issue is that of course many of the tiny sets didn't use batteries, or were primarily desktop sets (i.e. Sony KV-4000, Sony KV-7010, and Sharp 3LS36). True there were external battery packs available, and they were all AC-DC capable. But I think of battery sets as the Panasonic 1.5" and the Sinclair, etc.

Definitely no stress intended, and it might just be me. I haven't actually looked to see if anyone is misposting.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 01-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
With regard to the first post ... I do see a redundancy. Perhaps, "Micro TV beginning to current" admins's can sort out.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I just saw the new forum names and descriptions after being away for a week. The new divisions are close to exactly what I would have picked. I think of the dividing lines of TV sets (in the USA) between "early" versus "mainstream" as matching the change from round CRTs to rectangular ones, in both the color and B&W worlds, and that is more clear now. The only other change I could recommend would be to maybe split the rectangular-CRT tube forum into B&W and color forums, since those were generally two different eras.

In any case, three forums or six (or more), I am always going to at least check the topics in all of the TV ones.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator

True, but that also means migrating a LOT of posts. We still have to keep working on moving the ones just from the changeover.....