Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

CRT Testers to look for.

Ive been wanting to get a CRT tester, any advice on which ones to look for? Mostly for B&W, but color capability would be nice also, since i have a late 60s Zenith 25" color set with a dim CRT, and was hoping it might respond to rejuvenation, or to test potential CRT donor sets before purchase.
Theres a guy in Kenosha with a basement full of test gear for sale, he had several, but I didnt know which ones were decent, or which to avoid.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

If all you wish to do is test '40's through early '70's CRT's, something like a B&K 465, an older Heathkit, Sencore, or RCA will work for you.

If you want something that will test most any CRT from the '40's until the present, get one of the newer B&K's (467 or higher model), or a Sencore CR70. These newer models also have a better rejuvenate function that will stand a better chance of helping the CRT, instead of torching it.

Beltron is another well regarded tester for rejuvenation; but, I'm not sure if adapters are available for the newer inline CRT's.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, i would be using it for older stuff, b&w and delta gun color tubes.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
If all you wish to do is test '40's through early '70's CRT's, something like a B&K 465, an older Heathkit, Sencore, or RCA will work for you.

If you want something that will test most any CRT from the '40's until the present, get one of the newer B&K's (467 or higher model), or a Sencore CR70. These newer models also have a better rejuvenate function that will stand a better chance of helping the CRT, instead of torching it.

Beltron is another well regarded tester for rejuvenation; but, I'm not sure if adapters are available for the newer inline CRT's.
I see a lot of you guys like the Sencore CR70. I picked up a Sencore, Big Mack CR158???. The main reason I bought it is, it has all the sockets for all the CRT's common at the time, including the all important Ge Porta-Color sockets.
I bought an old Precision CRT tester, from the early 50's. It'll even test 7JP4's.
Test only, no rejuvenation.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 PM
Old TVs are better!

Try to find a Beltron. Best tester/rejuvanator out there. Mine has the adapters to test almost any CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I like how the Beltron provides all gun emission readouts at once. With Sencore I reckon you're mostly paying for the name.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

Take a look inside a Beltron one and you'll see there's almost nothing to them. Looks like just a brute force rejuvinator while the Sencore CR-70 uses regulated, controlled voltage and current pulses.

Sencore CR70
Old 06-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Not too difficult to find CRT subs for any sets I might want to get going, and I would want to use them regularly, so the Beltron ought to be just fine for me and anyone else who doesn't care about rejuvenation.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I own A Sencore CR70, a Beltron and a B&K 467..

I use the Beltron and B&K 467 to test color tubes seeing how there is no having to set and retest for each gun, as they both have a meter for each gun.. When waking a tube up, I like to see all the meters slowly move up, instead of having to constantly switch guns.. The Beltrons seem to show lower emissions than what the Sencore or B&K reads on the same tube with most I've tested, but I've also had the opposite readings on some tubes.. If I were ever to rejuvenate on any tube.. I would use the Sencore CR70, or possibly the B&K 467.. The Beltron is questionable.. Though it does have the cleaning function which is suppose to be less brutal, but the Sencore and B&K have more options to rejuvenate..

Last edited by tvcollector; 06-13-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Take a look inside a Beltron one and you'll see there's almost nothing to them. Looks like just a brute force rejuvinator while the Sencore CR-70 uses regulated, controlled voltage and current pulses.

Sencore CR70
You have to admit one thing. The Beltron is really built neatly.
It must be a really old model. I never seen one with a two wire, non grounded line cord.
BTW, what is the difference between the Sencore CR-70 and the Big Mack, CR168.
I think it has a controlled rejuvenation function.
Audiokarma