Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Found a nice wall mount today at the Thrift and now I have it set up in my room!

Not bad, less than $100 for a nice HDTV and an Oppo DVD player.
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a good Bluray player, I have an extra one but it's old and sooo slow to load I don't want to mess with it.

It's mounted a little high but space is limited in my room and I didn't want to be banging my face into it when I walk in the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samsung.jpg (14.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg samsung2.jpg (19.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Mounting television receivers on walls may not have been science fiction in the 1950s-'60s, but, IMHO, it wouldn't have been practical for large sets (21 inches on up, as I will explain below). The reason is that most sets of that era, particularly table sets and the few portables available then, were in rather large, heavy metal cabinets with a cap on the back cover for the CRT neck. I doubt that such sets could be wall mounted because they were so heavy, and also because of the CRT cap. Any wall mounting arrangement for most '50s portable TVs would have to be made to support 50-60 pounds, as most of those sets weighed the proverbial ton. My aunt had a 1950s-vintage RCA Victor 17" portable (the same type of set as in VK member Adam's avatar) that must have weighed 40 pounds if it weighed an ounce; that set had a power transformer, 5U4 rectifier, and an all-metal chassis and cabinet. If this set were to be wall-mounted, the mount would have to be extremely sturdy; of course, any set larger than that would need a custom-made wall mount. I'd be extremely leery of wall-mounting a 23-inch 1950s table model B&W set because even the best and sturdiest mount made can fail -- and if a 23-inch or larger (!) CRT implodes when the set hits the ground .... I shudder to think of it. I would mount such a set in the wall instead.

The idea in the 1950s-'60s of a combination TV/radio/phonograph that could be wall mounted sounds incredible. How on earth did GE build that set so light and compact that the whole thing could be mounted on a wall, without causing the heck of a safety hazard? How many of these combos were made, and for that matter, how many different manufacturers made sets like this? I would guess not very many, and of those that were sold, I don't think many of them wound up on walls -- I would imagine most folks who bought these also invested in the optional legs, and used the sets as consolettes. RCA offered some of its mid-'60s metal-cabinet color sets (I had one) that had threaded holes in the base for legs, sold separately from the TV itself.

BTW, the man in that vintage TV article you mention was right on, as today's flat panel TVs are thin and light enough to hang on walls; in fact, a lot of folks do just that. I know someone who did this with a 70"(!) flat panel and turned one entire wall of his living room into a large-screen movie theater.
Some of the plasmas especially the older ones like my Vizeo 42" that only had 6 dry caps and I got it for free weigh on the order of 90 lbs or more.The wall mount is rated for 135 lbs. Luckily I have pretty thick sturdy walls. My 2009 Sony 32" lcd in the bedroom is light as a feather compared to the living room tv. It simply sits on its stand on my dresser.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Mounting television receivers on walls may not have been science fiction in the 1950s-'60s, but, IMHO, it wouldn't have been practical for large sets (21 inches on up...
Not ON walls, but IN walls was what several family acquaintances and a couple of neighbors did back then, pretty popular thing to do. I can recall several who cut holes in walls and mounted the TV flush with the wall and framed it in, with the set in an adjacent closet, room or in one case I remember the TV was sticking out into the garage.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Not ON walls, but IN walls was what several family acquaintances and a couple of neighbors did back then, pretty popular thing to do. I can recall several who cut holes in walls and mounted the TV flush with the wall and framed it in, with the set in an adjacent closet, room or in one case I remember the TV was sticking out into the garage.
In an old issue of, IIRC, the (now long defunct) Electronics Illustrated magazine, there was an article in which a TV repair technician told the story of a service call he made to a home with a recreation area in the basement, frequented by the owner's friends who were sports nuts and enjoyed betting on games. In that rec room was a wall in which were mounted several TVs, one of which had a shorted CRT. When the technician arrived, he turned on to a local UHF channel the one set that had been reported as defective, and found a smeared picture, which would intermittently clear when the neck was tapped. However, I remember how the article ended. "When I left," the technician wrote, "they still had on the UHF channel -- broadcasting continuous stock market tapes!" I guess the owner's friends followed the stock market closely as well.

Replacing old worn-out TV chassis in big 3-way consoles was also popular in the '70s. Two of my great-uncles, both long deceased, had large combo consoles in which the television chassis failed after 25 years or so, developing expensive repair problems, so they decided to replace the TVs with modern sets -- retaining the stereo components. Both consoles were RCAs; one set's TV was replaced by an Emerson table model, the other's television was replaced by a Zenith CCII, IIRC. I wish I had pictures of the converted sets, as the conversions were very well done; they both looked like factory jobs. Today, the only way to even come close to having a 3-way entertainment center is to buy a large armoire or EC cabinet (or a stand, like I did with my components and which I still have, now with a flat screen TV on the top shelf -- replacing the RCA CTC185 which once graced that spot) and install your TV, video and stereo components in it.

We will never again, unfortunately, see the likes of the large, stately 3-way consoles popular in the '60s and '70s, the trend now being towards nondescript-looking FP sets on their jet-black stands. The only things that make today's FPs look good in modern living rooms/dens/family rooms when they are turned off, IMHO,are the entertainment-center cabinets or stands in or on which these sets are often mounted, along with a VCR, DVD player, and often a 5.1-channel AV receiver. An old friend of mine has a floor-to-ceiling entertainment center in his family room (which is huge), in which he mounted his TV (formerly a large Toshiba CRT, now a large FP), DVD and stereo system. I saw the installation some years ago when he had the CRT TV and was amazed at the size of the EC cabinet -- but I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised, since his family room has very high ceilings.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-29-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
LOTS if its a Samsung. I have a 19" one here thats sitting in the basement. Eventually I'll spend the $30 and see if its a bad power brick (its external). There really aren't any caps in the set itself, I think the small PCB the power switch is on is bad though. Getting replacement parts, or even another dead/broken monitor has proven impossible.
If it's a 960BF, check the surface mount fuse. Those can go bad and prevent the backlight from coming on while the rest of the display still works.

Also, just to add to the thread. Had one of my 206BWs die. Bad caps in the P/S, so I ordered up some and did an across-the-board replacement on all three of those monitors I have.

Two were made at the same time, and had bulging caps, the third was made a month later, and had a different panel, and the caps were fine.
Replaced them anyway for peace of mind.
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Found a nice wall mount today at the Thrift and now I have it set up in my room!
Is that "The Room" playing on that TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePC View Post
If it's a 960BF, check the surface mount fuse. Those can go bad and prevent the backlight from coming on while the rest of the display still works.
Its a SyncMaster 930MP, a combination TV/computer monitor. It powers up, but usually just gives me a blinking power LED (indicates standby). Sometimes it'll give me video. When it does work, it will never go to standby, even if the computer goes to power saving mode and cuts video output. Annoying because I like this monitor. It has SCART RGB in (rare in the USA) and its a multi system TV (takes NTSC/PAL/SECAM video input). Plus its 4:3, and supports 720p HD video (1280x1024 native panel res.).

I replaced it with a 940MW (its 1440x900 19" widescreen cousin), which also has documented cap problems. The biggest difference is that this model has the power supply built into the monitor vs. a brick. If I ever have a problem with it, the model was popular enough to market re-capping kits which are readily available on ebay.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought a 32'' Samsung LCD TV 2 years ago and it still works great, knock on wood. I have put it on a TV stand in my bedroom.

Maybe I was lucky that my set turned out to be good. But I'd say that it has very good quality. Actually, I would say that it is overengineered.

Scoring that set for $50 is a steal. It is a great deal!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
In an old issue of, IIRC, the (now long defunct) Electronics Illustrated magazine, there was an article in which a TV repair technician told the story of a service call he made to a home with a recreation area in the basement, frequented by the owner's friends who were sports nuts and enjoyed betting on games. In that rec room was a wall in which were mounted several TVs, one of which had a shorted CRT. When the technician arrived, he turned on to a local UHF channel the one set that had been reported as defective, and found a smeared picture, which would intermittently clear when the neck was tapped. However, I remember how the article ended. "When I left," the technician wrote, "they still had on the UHF channel -- broadcasting continuous stock market tapes!" I guess the owner's friends followed the stock market closely as well.
Yep, early 70's (71 or 72) issue. i have about 30 of them, including the one with that article in it. My father gave them to me about 10 years ago when he was cleaning out some of his old college books.