Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

The current generation of OLED screens are probably much better than the first ones (the $2500 10-inch Sony set, supposedly all of which have lost their blue output as of now). However, since I have seen "burn-in" or "image retention" even on a one-month-old Samsung OLED cell phone that was running its demo mode daily, I am indeed hoping that true LED (non-organic) display panels come on the market before too many years go by.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
The burn in on the LG WOLED sets are usually caused by having the dealers set them in torch mode with a static display running all day. In the home, it is unlikely that this would occur. Soposedly, the second generation sets are using new algorithms to prevent burn in.

Last edited by etype2; 04-19-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

I never had any kind of home-theater setup until I bought my flat-screen TV almost four years ago, and even then it isn't really HT since my stereo system isn't hooked up to the TV (although I have the cable to do it). My system consists of the following:

1. Insignia 19" flat-screen TV

2. Panasonic PV-4022 VCR

3. LG BP-220 Blu-ray player

4. Aiwa NSX-888a bookshelf stereo system, 50 watts per channel, capable of surround sound (not currently using the rear channel amps)

5. Roku streaming video player (used in place of cable, but cable line remains connected to TV for TWC TV local channel app to work)

As you can see, my system is nothing fancy, but it works for me. I would have patched the TV into the stereo long ago, except the TV doesn't have variable audio outputs so I wouldn't be able to mute the sound (an important feature for me, since I mute the commercials all the time). I have no intention of upgrading to UHD or curved screen, as I don't see the advantage of a curved UHD (aka 4K) screen over a standard LCD flat panel.

I guess large UHD screens have uses in digital signage, as sports scoreboards and the like, but for home use, I think a practical limit would be about 32 inches. However, some folks, VK member ChrisW6ATV for one, have systems with much larger screens, but his is a projection set, with the projector mounted on the ceiling and projecting to a 92-inch (!) screen some distance away. This is by far the largest TV picture I have ever heard of, although I have read of at least one company that is working on a 100-inch LCD or OLED display. I don't know the name of the company, but I wouldn't expect their super-size TV screens in American living rooms, unless someone wanted one as a status symbol. Such a large display would be so large and heavy that the room in which it is placed would have to be the size of the state of Alaska, and moving it would be a problem as well.

Edit: My TV does have audio output jacks after all; I didn't think of them when I wrote this post. I have two sets of RCA pin jacks on a panel at the left side of the set, in addition to two 3.5-mm audio jacks, one being the headphone output, the other an input for computer audio (the latter is located near the VGA input jack). If either of these jacks provide TV audio (I'm sure the headphone jack would, but the computer audio jack would not since it is an input), I could use them with a cable to connect to my stereo system; then I would have my audio and mute problems solved. I'll test the headphone jack tonight to see if its audio is muted with the remote's mute button. It should be, and if it works, I'll go ahead with the other connections. The audio system in my flat screen TV is nothing to write home about, anyway (two 3" speakers mounted such that they talk to my TV stand, and the television's own audio system probably isn't that great either, stereo [!] though it is), so hooking up to the stereo system will make a noticeable difference.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-10-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:42 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
My system consists of the following:

1. Insignia 19" flat-screen TV

2. Panasonic PV-4022 VCR

3. LG BP-220 Blu-ray player

4. Aiwa NSX-888a bookshelf stereo system, 50 watts per channel, capable of surround sound (not currently using the rear channel amps)

As you can see, my system is nothing fancy, but it works for me. I would have patched the TV into the stereo long ago, except the TV doesn't have variable audio outputs so I wouldn't be able to mute the sound (an important feature for me, since I mute the commercials all the time).
That AIWA is probably new enough to have remote volume control (and many remote capable stereos also have a mute button) if you configure your universal remote to map the volume and mute keys to the stereo, then you should be in business.
If that don't work here is another idea: If your TV has external speaker connections make an adapter that connects them to your stereo's audio in jacks....It may sound crazy but I've done it before with other amplifiers and had it work decently.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2015, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

You don't have to be wealthy to own a large flat panel or projection system. It is not uncommon for projection screens to be 120 inch diagonal or larger.

For UHD, it is recommended that the screen be at least 75 inches diagonal to realize the benefit of 4K.

I have an average size viewing room in an average size home and by no means wealthy. Currently using a 70 inch flat panel with separate speakers on both sides and 7.1 surround sound. Because of the speakers, I can only go up to about 80 inches screen size. Way back in 1978 was watching on a 6 foot screen. In the 80's and 90's was watching on a 10 foot screen in normal size homes.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I guess large UHD screens have uses in digital signage, as sports scoreboards and the like, but for home use, I think a practical limit would be about 32 inches.
IMHO, 32" TVs might have been a fairly practical limit in CRT days, although frightfully heavy CRT TVs were made in sizes up to 40".

Today, the whole scene has changed:
1. Improved resolution allows one to sit *much* closer to the screen... the current guidelines indicate that the optimum viewing distance is 1.5 to 2.5 times the screen diagonal. This works out to 4 ft to 6.7 ft for viewing a 32 inch screen. This size is pretty tiny for most living rooms.
2. Weight has been reduced considerably... IIRC the 40" CRT sets were more than 400 lbs, while a modern 60" HDTV is around 60 lbs.
3. Price has dropped considerably on HDTVs, with some 60" models being sold for well under $1000.

jr
Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: http://hdguru.com/ultra-hd-blu-ray-s...ed/#more-15923
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

This article describes in detail the new Blu Ray spec, particularly the expanded color space. At the bottom of the article graphic representation.

http://hometheaterreview.com/the-col...olor%20of%204K
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for posting that update.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 08-13-2015, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Additional details leak.... Digital bridge and more.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...SB+hard+drives
Old 08-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Large-screen UHD/4K TV sets keep going down in price, so by the time I may replace my projector with a 4K flat-panel, these players may be on the market.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Large-screen UHD/4K TV sets keep going down in price, so by the time I may replace my projector with a 4K flat-panel, these players may be on the market.
Yup. LG claims they have reached 80% yields without defects with their WOLED 4K panels. The prices should then continue to drop for those as well. I just saw a brand new, LG 2014 last year model 55 inch, 1080P WOLED set available for 1999.00. This thing used to sell for 6K.

I'm holding out until the 4K BluRay players are available and the new sets are fully capable of displaying the new standard, ie:, extended color gamut, HDR, etc. That should come soon, although it might take a while befor we see extended color gamut color programming.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Regarding display technology, I will probably stick with standard LCD if I replace my projector, and watch to see if non-organic LED displays begin to appear eventually. THAT could be the ultimate in quality!

4K Blu-ray is a definite buy, though. That is the main source I expect to have for UHD content.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, OLED's can get image retention just like a plasma display panel. The LG we have in the store also has pixel orbiter and screen image restorer built in, just like a PDP. I have to say that it works quite well. As far as curved displays......We put our Samsung rep through the ringer over this one, and he made a couple of admissions. Firstly, they only did it because LG was doing it. Secondly, the main picture benefit was that it was easier to maintain even color and brightness from the center point to the corners on a curved screen, given the limitations of the full array lighting at the time. I guess it was an easy way to help with the dynamic contrast. So there you go. On a more personal note, they just look stupid.
Audiokarma