Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

2 for 3 for recapping flatscreens - Lesson Learned on #3

I've recapped the power supply board on two different 32"ers that wouldn't come on and both worked after that, so I was feeling pretty confident. Came across a 36" or 38" Emerson and gave it the same treatment. Alas, I should have paid more attention to that little dent in the screen before bringing it home.

Hey, it powered up though.

Think I should put a frame around it and sell it as art? I'm going to call it "Fractus Electronica" and put a $500 price tag on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cracked TV.jpg (99.4 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I TOO...usually have GOOD Luck bringing flat sets form the curb or such. SO much so.,...that I now have THREE of them FIXED here....and one MORE NEARLY so. ALl I have left to do to it....it dis-assemble the panel and clean BEHIND it, likely the diffuser panel...of the SMOKE TRAILS on it... They are NOT visible when the set is off...BUT CAN be seen o SOME scenes....as "dark shadows that do NOT move with the programming. This IS somewhat commmon on LCD sets....since the panels are NOT truly sealed...and smoke from cigarettes or stoves or such WILL leave deposits on the diffuser BEHIND the LCD panel. CRT's--as we all know..were SEALED...at least the BONDED ones were....and so this does NOT happen to them. but LCD panels are NOT.

Now the question becomes....what do I DO....with all of these flat sets...AFTER I fix them? ONE I am using...2 others, a 42" westinghouse and a 32" Sharp I am NOT using...both work well...the sharp is missing the stand. I do NOT really wish to keep them "hanging around here" taking up space in my living room...forever.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxcrusadr View Post
I've recapped the power supply board on two different 32"ers that wouldn't come on and both worked after that, so I was feeling pretty confident. Came across a 36" or 38" Emerson and gave it the same treatment. Alas, I should have paid more attention to that little dent in the screen before bringing it home.

Hey, it powered up though.

Think I should put a frame around it and sell it as art? I'm going to call it "Fractus Electronica" and put a $500 price tag on it.
Or use the working set to show the boards are good for a quick sell on eBay. I sold some Samsung plasma boards in one week that way - a weld shop tossed the set, I recapped it to find a deep scratch, but had viewable programs on the screen - sold the boards for 210 bux, not bad for a curb crawl with 12 dollars worth of caps replaced.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I TOO...usually have GOOD Luck bringing flat sets form the curb or such. SO much so.,...that I now have THREE of them FIXED here....and one MORE NEARLY so. ALl I have left to do to it....it dis-assemble the panel and clean BEHIND it, likely the diffuser panel...of the SMOKE TRAILS on it... They are NOT visible when the set is off...BUT CAN be seen o SOME scenes....as "dark shadows that do NOT move with the programming. This IS somewhat commmon on LCD sets....since the panels are NOT truly sealed...and smoke from cigarettes or stoves or such WILL leave deposits on the diffuser BEHIND the LCD panel. CRT's--as we all know..were SEALED...at least the BONDED ones were....and so this does NOT happen to them. but LCD panels are NOT.

Now the question becomes....what do I DO....with all of these flat sets...AFTER I fix them? ONE I am using...2 others, a 42" westinghouse and a 32" Sharp I am NOT using...both work well...the sharp is missing the stand. I do NOT really wish to keep them "hanging around here" taking up space in my living room...forever.
Sell em on Craigslist man! Find out what new ones are going for and ask for half. Plus you can say the bad caps have all been changed out so it should be reliable for quite awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Or use the working set to show the boards are good for a quick sell on eBay. I sold some Samsung plasma boards in one week that way - a weld shop tossed the set, I recapped it to find a deep scratch, but had viewable programs on the screen - sold the boards for 210 bux, not bad for a curb crawl with 12 dollars worth of caps replaced.
Hmm! I had no idea anyone would want boards. I'll check that out. I've been avoiding ebay because of the high costs and scammers, but I don't have a lot of coin invested here.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I keep one of those super-bright LED flashlights on my bench. I look over the screen carefully with it before working on it. Usually even the smallest cracks can be seen with a bright enough light.

I still have been screwed by dead pixel lines and bad tab bonds, heh. You can't win 'em all!
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 PM
Banned

Looks like someone chucked their Wii Controller at the TV after they lost at Wii Bowling...
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

[Now the question becomes....what do I DO....with all of these flat sets...AFTER I fix them?]

Give them to relatives or friends with a no holds barred "taillight guarantee"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...light+warranty

Tom(PK)

Last edited by powerking; 10-18-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

One has gone to a friend....the 42 inch westinghouse. made me about $100 after expenses.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 32" Toshiba that I successfully recapped last fall has crapped out this week. Suddenly one evening it did not come on after running fine that morning. I have yet to open it up, will check for fuses and obvious burnt components first. Dang it.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM
M is for Memory

If I had spare large screen flatpanels laying around I'd use some as large screen computer monitors.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2016, 07:24 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

That's what I did with a $10 Akai I got not long ago, a 27" computer monitor is huge at close range. At the new house I'm going to wall mount it and get a Bluetooth keyboard so I don't wreck my eyes.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got 3 more sets recapped last month, it's amazing how fast it is when you have the parts in hand and have a vacuum desoldering station to remove the old caps. Score is 2 out of 3 on the latest batch:

32" Samsung - went perfectly, nice set, finally have a set big enough to see from across the room in my basement.

22" Acer monitor - When I grabbed this while dropping off electronic scrap, I thought it was a TV only to find it's just a monitor. But a nice one and it fired right up after recapping. Not sure how I'll use it but I'm setting up a security camera/DVR system and it would make a dandy monitor for that.

20" Emerson with built in DVD player - This one was a dud. No bulging caps visible, and all the originals were Nichicon, so I was a little skeptical that a recap would do it. Turns out I was right, it doesn't power up at all. I don't have any experience with these sets beyond cap disease, what else can go wrong? I guess I should check that control voltage is actually getting to the power button and back to wherever. Maybe a relay?

So over time it seems to be about 2/3 that work with a recap.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Those Enersons usually have shorted diodes or mosfets with a blown fuse. Built bu Funai if thats any indication.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 32 inch Emerson that needed the kit I bought on eBay for those sets that has an upgraded diode ,the cause in the first place, and the mosfet and Zener and several other parts . The kit was 25.00. Set still works after 3 years so far.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:24 PM
The Resident Brony

rip.
Audiokarma