Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2017, 06:32 PM
The Resident Brony

1970s Maytag Oven Igniter - Fixed!

Granddad's house is a bit of a dump. I'm in the middle of renovating the bathroom. The kitchen needs a little love too, including the wall oven. I don't have a picture of the oven, but to me, it's a very stylish and timeless design of black glass and polished and brushed aluminum. In a time of avacado and turd-brown appliances, it's quite the odd one out.

It has a rotating drum-type digital clock that hadn't worked for years, which I managed to fix with a little elbow grease, and some real grease.

Also out of commision for the past few years is the electronic ignition. I eliminated all the stuff other than the module itself. I opened it, and found immediately the 110vac intputs on the pcb had cracked solder joints. Silly me, I thought this would be an easy fix. Reflowed, didn't work. Took it home, took the pcb out, no visible problems. Hooked it all up with alligator clip wires, and made a crude sparky thingy with 2 nails in a piece of wood. Still didn't work. Took the capacitors off the pcb one at a time and tested for capacitance and shorts, found that C2 didn't want to test right, and it blew up after a second of testing. I thought for a minute I tested it on the wrong setting and fried it.

Replaced it, and the thing worked! It sparked regularly about every half second. Reassembled the module, tested again, and no dice. It did nothing. Took it apart, back on my little jig, still doesn't work. Looking at it while plugged in, L2 (a neon lamp O_o) was flashing regularly, whether the switch was on or off. I messed with it a bit more, and got a spark at the connection to the ignition coil INPUT, not output. Only once, at that, it wouldn't repeat. Nothing visibly fried though.

Le sigh. I took the liberty of drawing up a schematic. It should be right. Kool-Lite 6513

Ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (42.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg igniter1.jpg (58.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg igniter2.jpg (94.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by MadMan; 03-20-2017 at 11:01 PM.