Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox stereo theater - all tube model

55 YEAR OLD VINTAGE ALL TUBE MODEL!

1961/1962 ALL TUBE MAGNIFICENT MAGNAVOX VINTAGE STEREO THEATER

27" b/w TV, AM/FM RECEIVER, STEREO RECORD TURNTABLE.

ALL HARDWOOD CHERRY CABINET IS IN FACTORY LIKE-NEW CONDITION.

ALL TUBE STEREO AMPLIFIER WITH DUAL 15" SIDE FIRING WOOFERS AND HORN PROJECTION TWEETERS.

ORIGINAL MAGNAVOX AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE WITH ORIGINAL PICKUP.

ELECTRONICS HAS NOT BEEN TURNED ON OR EVEN PLUGGED IN. FOR OVER 20 YEARS. MAY NOT WORK AND PROBABLY NEEDS ELECTRONIC REPAIR.

THIS WAS THE PREMIUM SET IN ITS DAY WITH UNBELIEVABLY GREAT SOUND.

MODEL 1MV415 M CHERRY RUN 1 MAGNAVOX STEREO THEATER SERIAL # 645221

CASH BEST OFFER YOU PICK UP IN NORTH NEW JERSEY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.JPG (125.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.JPG (85.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.JPG (88.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0450.JPG (92.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0451.JPG (102.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM
'A Disgusting Brony'

I love when ads are written in all caps.

Edit: ok that's totally bogus. How come I can't post in all caps, but OP can?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep , strange how only the OP can post in all caps .
Old 02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
M is for Memory

As a moderator I'll say: "The practice of posting in all caps is frowned upon here, and if it persists may lead to mild disciplinary action".

That said new members are allowed a small mistake or two as they learn the fairly lax rules here.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Bullies beware.

Perhaps he had a hand in making the rollsigns in our old GM buses?

Seriously, if you're going to be a regular poster, as Paul Blart would say, welcome to the show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Metro Transit 881.jpeg (35.9 KB, 35 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Seriously? You know I can hear you talking about me. Sorry if I broke some rule here. Didn’t realize Caps were frowned upon. I wasn’t shouting. Maybe your hearing aid was turned up a little too high.
The last time I felt so awkward, I was a teenager and my buddy and I went into this rundown strip club in the Catskills. The stripper was well past her prime and two old geezers in the audience were hugging their beers. Well we walk in, the stripper stops her routine, looks at the old men and said, “Look fresh meat in the house”.
Now that I have your attention, can anyone help me keep the Magnavox out of the landfill? I’m downsizing and it won’t fit in my room at the old folk’s home
Dad bought it in 1962, and I shook the windows listening to everything from The Beatles to the 1812 Overture. I watched the after mat to JFK’s assassination and his brother’s, all the Mercury, Gemini shots and the first Moon landing. After I moved out in 1970, my old room was immediately converted to a Den and they moved in a color set. The B/W Magnavox never did get much use after that. Just sitting in the exact same spot in the Living Room all these years as you see in the Photo.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

That is a very nice looking set. All tube is a big plus. hope you get some bites on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Motorola Minion

We as a mostly TV group certainly appreciate your posting it here and I will post your pics on Vintage HiFi.net, where Magnavox rules, pretty much.

Link a CL ad if you posted one and Ill add that as contact info. The 1961 pocket catalog shows it as the "far eastern classic" and lists at $895

Having explored such "bawdy houses" of the 1980's, especially ones in Dallas when I was 20 with no extra money (other than beer-money) with which to initiate some good-fun times for real, I like your seg-way alot!

I have a 1960 Magnavox HiFi in my living room and can attest to the sweet music power of these last tubed Mags. That six-knob sideways-mounted tuner/preamp is identical to mine. Those were premium units and front-mounted in the Concert Grand and Imperial consoles. Mine has three cone tweeters in place of those more desirable exponential horns. 1961 was the first year for the Micromatic record changer, another asset of your unit.

Take the back cover off and post photos of what is probably a 30-watt stereo "9300 series amp" with push-pull 6BQ5/EL84 tubes and the stereo-preamp, mono tuner is most likely a 57-03 chassis. Heck, it might even have a multiplex adapter as the band switch has such inputs. Somebody will get this for sure as the condition is mint and electrical-mechanical restoration is routine.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Dave for your kind words. Yes, it is the 30 Watt 6BQ5 Amp. Everything is original, even the little brush by the phono cartridge. I did replace the flyback in the late 60's. And the stereo FM adapter was optional but can't remember if I ever picked one up. I wouldn't think of powering it up before someone replaces the filter electrolytics for fear of shorting the power xfmr.
Selling this is less about the money and more like trying to place it in a good home. I turned down someone who wanted to gut the electronics and turn it into a wine cabinet or such. Don't know when I got so nostalgic. But I do have a deadline. The house is under contract and everything must go before the closing.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Bullies beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron07663 View Post
Seriously? You know I can hear you talking about me. Sorry if I broke some rule here. Didn’t realize Caps were frowned upon. I wasn’t shouting. Maybe your hearing aid was turned up a little too high.
The last time I felt so awkward, I was a teenager and my buddy and I went into this rundown strip club in the Catskills. The stripper was well past her prime and two old geezers in the audience were hugging their beers. Well we walk in, the stripper stops her routine, looks at the old men and said, “Look fresh meat in the house”.
Now that I have your attention, can anyone help me keep the Magnavox out of the landfill? I’m downsizing and it won’t fit in my room at the old folk’s home
Dad bought it in 1962, and I shook the windows listening to everything from The Beatles to the 1812 Overture. I watched the after mat to JFK’s assassination and his brother’s, all the Mercury, Gemini shots and the first Moon landing. After I moved out in 1970, my old room was immediately converted to a Den and they moved in a color set. The B/W Magnavox never did get much use after that. Just sitting in the exact same spot in the Living Room all these years as you see in the Photo.
I apologize if I came off as rude, I just used this topic as an excuse to mention my favorite (long gone) buses, and put in the second part to try to make it clear I wasn't making fun. Epic fail there, oh well.

Hear hear about trying to find it a good home. If I were into B&W sets... and anywhere near there... I would be all over that. It's rare to see a set that old in such primo condition. My near-mint, 41-year old (come July), solid maple daily watcher narrowly escaped being made into a liquor cabinet by the original owner's son.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Motorola Minion

I found a link to a set identical to yours on the inside at least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQHK-oN9ww
Old 02-09-2017, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I had seen that also. Basically same although it has a UHF tuner that is not in my set. Also the Dial and switch markings are rotated 90 degrees so you can read from front of unit. I am guessing it is a later build. At some point UHF tuners were required by law (FCC).
Ron
Old 02-09-2017, 04:10 PM
M is for Memory

I believe it was June or July of 1964 that UHF became mandatory.

I wish you the best of luck in finding it a home. Many TV collectors tend to shy away from the combos due to the amount of real-estate they require. If you were local and that was a roundy color set (especially a remote equipped model) I'd find a way to make room.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

ITS A VERY NICE SET ! oops sorry.........
The biggest problem is there aint quite enuf of us. A lot
would love it but so far away. Thanks for not wanting
it gutted. There are plenty of plain Janes out there
for that. For now keep trying & use it to put things
on. Lots of room for photos, nic-nacs, gew gaws, doo-dads & ash
trays.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I find that the older I get the better I can read things in all caps. Who comes up with this stuff? As a kid I used to wonder who made a cuss word a cuss word. LOL! Recently we came to the conclusion that we can just use the first letter, ie the "F bomb" or the "B word."

It still registers as the same thing!