Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Got Robbed....

Actually, this goes back about a year ago. I ain't gonna re-hash why I've been gone from here & AK for so long, just that I sure am glad to be back where I ought to be. My wife took in this kid who didn't really have anywhere to live, they were pretty "Sweet" on each other. I wasn't to concerned, as said kid was/is queer as a left handed football bat. Again, I'm a "Live & let live" kind of guy, didn't even complain when this arraignment included his Boyfriend. I told 'em as long as they acted like normal people, I was OK w/things. Little did I know.....The boyfriend decided that all my passwords for here, AK, Hotmail. even to get ON the damn computer needed to be changed to HIS passwords. Didn't ask or nuthin', he just did it. They apparently watched me use the combination to get into my gun safe, 'cause they stole a USA type set book, that has spaces for every major different type of coin America has issued. I had been collecting those since '65 or so,I had almost ALL of the gold coins, except for a few of the dollar ones. I had 2 $20 gold pieces, 2 $10s, 2 $5s, well, you get it. I had most of the copper & silver coins, too, including several NICE half & large cents, which are muy expensivo. The one thing they got however, that REALLY teed me off was one of those 1968-72 Panasonic 1.5" Mica One TVs-the 1st teeny-tiny TV, about the size of a summer "Potboiler" type novel. It worked, had a good antenna, & was in excellent cosmetic shape. These 2 lowlifes laid a good 10 grand loss on me, I told the cops & for all the good it did, I could have hollered it out the window of my car. I'd STILL love to plant one of my size 13 triple wide steel toed Redwing up the precious keesters of these wondrous young men. If anyone has one of these little Panny sets & would be willing to part w/it, I'd love to have a shot at it. And no, I wouldn't ask or expect to simply be given the set, I know what they're worth & I'd be happy to pay fair market value. Homey ALWAYS plays straight w/folks-No matter what others may do. STILL pleased as punch to be back here at VK & AK-You guys just don't know !-Sandy
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Uncle Sandy! Glad to hear you are back! Stuff is just stuff, I lost almost everything back in the crash of 2008, even my home, cars, motorcycles, vintage radios, family stuff and tv's. Stuff can be replaced most of the time. You are alive and can find new and different stuff!
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know how you feel. Druggies broke into the house I lived in in Omaha. Out here in the "sticks" the population is low and we have the place wired for video/sound. I also helps that I'm usually here. They made off with two MS-70 silver dollars and almost got my computer. I also have watch animals.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, schtuff is just schtuff, but when you have devoted a goodly portion of yr life to it & the getting of it, you still see red when someone relieves you of it. I/we were GOOD to those jackazzes, my wife was working graveyard, & more often than not, I'd take 'em somewhere nice for supper. And it was HARD, but I never made any quips about their degenerate-In my view- lifestyle. I wish this had been 100 yrs ago I would have taken care of them all proper like. They'd STILL be finding pieces/parts....
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM
M is for Memory

Jeez. You gotta be careful with people you don't know really well.

We had a taste of that anger in my house a ways ago... some folks I knew were over to collect some garbage I no longer needed and I showed em my electronics hoard... One of them was out of my sight for a bit (ISTR telling them to grab something I was gonna give them from the next room)... fast forward a month and Mom couldn't find her jewelery box (and she has been collecting like we do electronics).... She gave me holy hell for a good 3-4 months till she figured out she had it all along and simply misplaced that stinking 2 ton tin of riches (they force me to lift that arm stretcher to hide it every vacation)... I got a small appology for being treated like chit for a good chunk of a year. Instead of securing it properly she is boobytrapping the doors with sticks and banning me from inviting anyone they don't know over...

Sandy I don't know if a panny TR-001 is a good replacement for the one you lost but mine was given to me by a friend so I see no reason why I shouldn't give it to someone who could enjoy it more....let me know if you want it.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Audiokarma
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Tomas-I THINK the "Mica One & TR-001" appellations refer to the same lil fella. So yeah, I'd love to have it. Again, the one that was swiped from me had a 1-1.5" screen, had the control buttons for contrast, bright, etc on one side & was basically silver & black. The case was primarily metal, & as such, the set was remarkably sturdy. I have the color version that came out in the '80s, & the plastic case its mounted in is SO flimsy, it'll break if you look at it the wrong way. The speaker was under the screen. If this sounds like yours, lemme know & we'll arraign a prisoner exchange !....As usual, looks like the good people of VK/AK are coming thru oncet again.... Why am I not surprised ?!?
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good to see you back, always enjoyed your presence on the forum(s)

Those folks will get what's coming to them eventually, I cringed a bit when I read the story, sounds like you've been through a lot.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, I'm pretty tough myself, I just wish they'd have let ME taken care of those 2 gayboys myself.... In my view, they forfeited any "Rights" they had once my & my wife's stuff was loaded up in their car. ALMOST wish they'd gotten my Uzi- a legal full auto weapon. One call to the BATF would have brought the entire weight of the gummint down on them. The gummint really don't want private citizens owning such exotica in the 1st place, but if I have a problem, they wanna know about it pronto. But I'd likely never gotten it back, either.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I'd STILL love to plant one of my size 13 triple wide steel toed Redwing up the precious keesters of these wondrous young men.
I doubt that would be much of a punishment for those two.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I doubt that would be much of a punishment for those two.
Yeah, you're right, but since the cops couldn't/wouldn't do anything-They wanted a DETAILED list of EVERYTHING they took & precise amounts of value, otherwise it was just basically "Tuff Shyte". An uncirculated coin is relatively easy to determine, but anything under that is notoriously hard to decipher.
even uncirculated ones can be maddening-Morgan silver dollars can have weak strikes & look like ass, but have a lot of telltale "Frost" on the blank areas/cheekbones etc. Its all very subjective-YOU might grade a coin one way & I'd grade it totally different, & a third person would tell us we both are all wet- That coin is no better than an extra fine/almost uncirculated at best. Coins were/are treated awful by the mints-dumped together in burlap bags, slung over mint workers shoulders, slung on the floors of big banks. Its amazing we have as many pristine examples as we do. RARITY also enters into it, too. The mid 1890s saw few dollars/gold pieces minted as there was a financial panic going on. An 1893-S-for San Fransisco mint in a slick, worn out shape can bring $1000, one in uncirculated shape could be worth nearly as much as a new S-Class Mercedes...
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

We won't even go too much into some of the legendary mishaps that have befallen Morgan silver dollars. Think of finding 25 or so CT-100s, formerly w/pristine cabinets & ALL having good jugs. Now imagine the owner, having squirreled them away about 1959 or '60 in his basement, next to several sealed up tight baskets of peaches, WAY past their sell by date but have exploded all over the hapless CT-100s sometime in the eighties. That happened to a LaVern Redfield, a reclusive type who'd put away a few hundred thousand uncirculated Morgans when no one wanted silver dollars. They were worth more as bullion than they were as dollars. But nobody wanted to take the trouble to round 'em up & melt 'em down....
Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
We won't even go too much into some of the legendary mishaps that have befallen Morgan silver dollars. Think of finding 25 or so CT-100s, formerly w/pristine cabinets & ALL having good jugs. Now imagine the owner, having squirreled them away about 1959 or '60 in his basement, next to several sealed up tight baskets of peaches, WAY past their sell by date but have exploded all over the hapless CT-100s sometime in the eighties. That happened to a LaVern Redfield, a reclusive type who'd put away a few hundred thousand uncirculated Morgans when no one wanted silver dollars. They were worth more as bullion than they were as dollars. But nobody wanted to take the trouble to round 'em up & melt 'em down....
Your story of LaVere Redfield is far from accurate. How did you come up with anything about peaches damaging the coins?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Your story of LaVere Redfield is far from accurate. How did you come up with anything about peaches damaging the coins?
It was a loose comparison to the Redfield story; a bunch of NOS CT100s covered in dried-up peach goo would have far less collector value than undamaged units, much like a stash of uncirculated but very common coins as opposed to the rarities. It's also kind of like when folks were buying up and squirreling away the last of the Cadillac convertibles thinking they would have major collector value one day.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I read that tidbit in IIRC, "The Silver Dollar Textbook", a book I bought back about 1981-82. I've slept a time or 2 since then, didn't really mean to mislead anyone. "Redfield dates" threw the silver dollar world into a tizzy for quite awhile, I DO remember that much.Wish I hadn't mentioned it now. One good one on Yrs Trly-A guy told me when I was a tadpole of 7 or 8, that you could clean dollars by taking an eraser to them. So, I done it to a rather black & grimy 1889-O. It got clean all right, bot I may as well have sold it for scrap. Oh, that's right-I CAN'T-Jess & Boyfriend filched that one.... Or was that "Felched ?!?" (Grin)...
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome back Sandy ! Sorry about your troubles.
Remember "trust but verify".......

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma