Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Any ideas on disposition of a 1978 vintage VCR?

I have a Panasonic-built Magnavox VCR, circa 1978, This is the classic style everyone is familiar with -- top loader with piano key controls, click style turret tuners, 2 and 4 hour speeds, wired pause control. Built like a tank and weighs almost as much! It was working fine when I last used it 30-some years ago, but it's been in storage since. I'd assume the belts are likely history now. Is there any interest in these ancient machines, or should I just man up and take it to a recycler? I'm not wanting any money out of it, but it was an expensive indulgence at the time, and I hate to trash something that someone else might enjoy tinkering with. Obviously, shipping these boat anchors would be prohibitive, and I live in the boonies of Kansas, so not much local collector activity here.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:28 PM
M is for Memory

If you were local I gladly take it and even pay... shipping would probably exceed it's value though.

Maybe take it to a radio (antique or ham) swap meet or post an ad on Craigslist...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not familiar with any swap meets here in my area -- otherwise I'd gladly take not only the VCR but also my AA5 radio collection, which I need to find a home for too. I'll try Craig's List also. I already have a black & white Sears/Sanyo video camera listed for free on Craig's List, but I don't have much hope of that attracting any attention. Seems us older guys into vintage video and audio are considered dinosaurs by anyone under 50!

Thanks for your reply, though! I appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:41 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
Seems us older guys into vintage video and audio are considered dinosaurs by anyone under 50!

Thanks for your reply, though! I appreciate it!
I may be old at heart...But my birth certificate tells me I'm 27. There'd be more people my age into electronics if the parents of my generation were not scared of their kids getting electrocuted and if computers weren't a thing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I started messing around with electronics when I was around 6 years old. Many of my older relatives gave me their old AA5 table radios from the 40's and I'd dutifully take the tubes to the drug store to test them, and more often than not, a simple tube replacement would resurrect an old set. I think in many cases, the old radios given to me still worked, it was just that the owners had bought something newer and didn't want to trash an old radio that likely cost a pretty penny back in the day. I also acquired a few 78 RPM record changers as well as the occasional record player/radio console.

I built a stereo, using speakers from old console TV's, and literally hand wiring separate amplifiers from old TV and radio components. A whopping 3 watt/channel output, but it put out enough volume to elicit a "turn that thing DOWN" from my parents rather often! LOL

Grandparents also gave me their old mid 50's Zenith B&W TV's when they upgraded to newer and/or color sets, and I was probably one of the first kids my age to have his own TV in his bedroom. Ah, the good old days!

I still have most of the AA5 table radios in addition to a 1948 Philco AM/FM phono vertical console. They all need to be refurbished, which will be up to the next owner.
Audiokarma