Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Punky Power!

Thanks, I'll hit Google Images again.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
I wouldn't even bother with it. Looks cheap and the last few years of vcrs were bpc anyway. Can't imagine why it wouldn't actually have the brand name somewhere on the front.
The VCR in the E*** ad is a lot older than that! It still has the separate UHF antenna terminals, which I haven't seen in a long time.
The VCR's shown have pretty high asking prices. They're still pretty cheap in the thrifts, outside of the Betas.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please correct me if wrong.Was Funai the last VCR maker that was around.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Correct. They were making DVD/VHS combo units and stopped production June 2016. Just google the end of VHS and there are a number of news articles on the subject.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweitzel View Post
Correct. They were making DVD/VHS combo units and stopped production June 2016. Just google the end of VHS and there are a number of news articles on the subject.
Thanks sweitzel.The Magnavox combo at Walmart is probably a Funai.Jon's photo looks like a 1990's vintage VCR to me.Looks like a Sears SV2000 series to me.At that time there was a handful of manufactures along with JVC and Matsushita .
Audiokarma
Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Punky Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks sweitzel.The Magnavox combo at Walmart is probably a Funai.Jon's photo looks like a 1990's vintage VCR to me.Looks like a Sears SV2000 series to me.At that time there was a handful of manufactures along with JVC and Matsushita .
Yep, I got it new in 1993 as a 6th grade grad gift.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Yep, I got it new in 1993 as a 6th grade grad gift.
Its nice to do research on items that we had when we were a kid.Thank goodness for the internet. At that time .I probably got some Radio Shack walkie talkies or a Hess Truck or some Tonka trucks.I wish I still have them now.I would keep an eye open at tag sales,fleamarkets ,thrift shops,Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for it.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Punky Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Its nice to do research on items that we had when we were a kid.Thank goodness for the internet. At that time .I probably got some Radio Shack walkie talkies or a Hess Truck or some Tonka trucks.I wish I still have them now.I would keep an eye open at tag sales,fleamarkets ,thrift shops,Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for it.
For sure, that's one of the best things about the internet. Identifying the 8-track recording deck I had during my teens was easy enough, I knew the brand and it is a common model. I have another one now just not enough tapes to make good use of it. Also identified was a Realtone 2424 AM-FM-short wave radio, and I found the same TV we had just before going with a BPC Sony, complete with manual.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:04 PM
M is for Memory+Moderator

I'm surprised you let it go. I still have my first* VHS deck that was IIRC my main 6th or 7th birthday present in the mid 90's. A mono Sharp with SQPB....That thing, for a bare bones model, is a freaking TANK it survived 2-3 of my parent's decks in the first 5-8 years, 2-6 other (mostly better featured) decks in my next home. It was getting ~2-4 hours of late night record, and playback next day for much of that and was also working with second and third decks for dubbing and catching a LOT of anime on 2-3 week summer vacations. Third home now and ~19-22 years later. It still worked fine last time I powered it up 2-3 years ago! I plan to keep that thing...If it ever dies I'll get a parts deck....It is well below my AV fidelity standards for a VCR, but with it's durability it just might out live me, and it makes a good emergency back up for when the fancy ones quit.

I collect S-VHS decks that show up at the thrifts, and was overjoyed when I found a HiFi S-VHS-ET Sharp...It seems to be as reliable as my old war horse.

*The machine I unwrapped lasted less than a day before getting returned (and traded for the Sharp)....The first tape I put in (a library rental) it immediately ate, and it was off to return/swap it out.

I've had no names that I never identified...Probably never will.

Always think carefully before tossing/selling something with memories attached...

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Punky Power!

Agreed, but I had practical reasons for letting it go actually. I ran it so hard that a cam gear broke. I had it replaced but somehow something else had gone out of alignment and it never worked right after that. Back then I didn't have the aptitude or the inclination to troubleshoot it myself.

The first VCR in our household I remember very well. It was a Sears model 30048, a re-branded Fisher I believe. Other than going through several idlers it was a real war horse, surviving countless hours of operation and my ham-fisted attempts at cleaning. There was visible damage to the head drum but it kept going. It was exposed to a lot of smoke which eventually took its toll, clouding the display and making some buttons inoperable. At the time I still didn't have an eye for quality so I just swapped it out with a much newer, much lighter unit that had been used in another room in another apartment. It was so light I could easily hold it level with one hand. That one quit in short order.

Nowadays I almost never get anything new and won't replace anything if I can help it.

In recent years I've replaced a few things that served me well when I was a kid. Thinking off the cuff here I used to have a Black & Decker model 7543 jig saw I got new. A couple years back I found a NOS model 7548 which is the variable-speed version. I didn't use it until fairly recently and thought it was supposed to have a detented speed switch, not sure why. I thought there was something wrong with the switch but I was just pushing it too hard and too fast. I had a convertible dolly back then as well, a rustbucket trash find that I put lawnmower wheels on. Today I have two similar to that one and in much better shape but still they're pretty scarred up from use.

For a long time I had abandoned my do-it-yourself roots which was very unsatisfying in retrospect.

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Audiokarma