Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

New to tube radio...need advice.

As a 53 year old I have fond memories of old radios of my folks and my grandparents. I don't know much about old radios other than I love them. I am trying to find a good, solid, reasonably priced, tube, entry model to get my feet wet. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should start with? FM is a must, as is a radio that can pull in an NPR station that is 50 miles away. Are all of these requirements obtainable on an old radio? Many thanks.
Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Seek professional psychological help as soon as possible...(grin) Barring that, one of the umpteen zillion Zenith AM/FM sets made from the late '40s thru the mid-60s oughta whet yr appetite...They're common, relatively easy to get going, not too expensive, & if coupled w/an antenna, give not-too-shabby performance. The tubes in 'em are about in the "Dime-a-Dozen" category, but most of the time, the tubes don't give trouble anyway.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Seek professional psychological help as soon as possible...(grin) Barring that, one of the umpteen zillion Zenith AM/FM sets made from the late '40s thru the mid-60s oughta whet yr appetite...
Thanks. My folks had an old zenith...I will look into that. I understand the professional help comment. I am trying to get over an addiction to Marantz gear and have also been trying to fight the urge to buy more speakers. My folks had a Grundig that they bought in 1953 or so and I have been obsessed with trying to locate one of those. My kids bought me a Motorola am tube radio from a garage sale for $15 for Fathers Day. I don't need it but it sure is cool to look at, even though it's pink.
Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
AK Member

The Zenith 845 series table radios are pretty common and have a real nice sound. Large woofer and a tweeter. If you go with a grundig look for a Grundig Majestic which is a made for US model and will have the full FM band. Import units FM often only goes to 100 thereabouts.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks...I'll keep an eye out for that Grundig model. My folks lived in France in the early/mid 1950's and brought home a Grundig 2030. I listened to that through my growing up years. Unfortunately it did not survive into my adult years.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
AK Member

The Grundig Majestics were a line not a particular model. They made them in many model numbers. As stated the FM and is the biggest difference and as such the dial glass is a bit difference. Personally I think the German market sets had more interesting dial glass than the US market Majestics. If you want a Grundig that will knock your socks off look for a 3045 3D or larger mid fifties set. You can check out the various model years on www.radiomuseum.org which allows limited access to non subscribers.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

If this is your first radio project, I'd recommend something like a 1950s Zenith AM/FM to get your feet wet. If you can successfully recap that and get it working, you can move up to a Grundig. European radios are often very good performers, but I wouldn't call them easy to work on. The construction is often cramped, with smaller components than American radios.

In many cases, all an old radio needs is recapping and cleaning of the controls with DeOxit. This article gives basic advice about recapping:

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 06-29-2009, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Phil...I will read those links. That's the kind of info I need.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a link to a very good beginner tube radio. I agree that the Zenith H845 AM/FM with AFC are great radios.
They are cheap, sound great and can really pull in the stations. I've had several and they all worked very well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENITH-Table-Top...lenotsupported
Empire 298 TT W/Denon 103 cart
Marantz CD6006, Pioneer DV-588 SACD

Last edited by sanford12; 06-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
AK Member

Another vote for Zenith. I like the 731. You can almost always find one on ebay, they are cheap and sound great. I've listened to mine since my dad bought it new in '59.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-ZENITH-L...3A1%7C294%3A50
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, I've been having fun checking eBay auctions. I will definitely get a zenith at some point. We have a little town near here that is full of antique shops...not pricey ones either...I want to check those before I get serious on eBay. This can be addicting I think. :-)
Tom
Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought a Zenith H845 AM/FM off eBay last week. It just came and I love this thing. It was built roughly the same year as my house (1959). I unplugged the little Sony that has been on our screened in porch and plugged in the Zenith. The reception is amazing and the power is equally amazing. The case is a work of art in itself...plastic front and walnut case with great patina. It has the original Zenith tubes and the finish on the volume knob is worn from thousands of on/off cycles. I think this radio has a soul...I really do. I know where I will spend the rest of my evenings this summer. Thanks all for your help and advice. As you can tell, I am thrilled!!