Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

How to play correctly PAL & NTSC laerdiscs on HDTV ?

Hi,

I have a collection of laserdiscs in both NTSC / PAL formats I would like to play, especially classical music and opera LDs.
I just brought a Panasonic LX-K770 autoreverse laserdisc player which seems to work fine, but:
- NTSC LDs will play with slightly noisy and somewhat saturated video on my PAL curved HDTV (Samsung).
- PAL LDs will not play. I guess the player is NTSC only ? One PAL LD almost played but video was terrible and sound very distorded.

I have another boxed Panasonic LD player somewhere which I believe to be PAL, but I didn't bring it back for testing yet.
Right now, the video is taken from the red/white/yellow RCA outputs using a video cable (the video is almost twich thicker than the audio so I guess the cable is ok). But my TV will only take a mini jack input for AV (old video) and I'm not sure if this won't alter the video quality due to internal capacitance of the jack plug.

What I would ike to know is:
- Whether there is a recommended multiformat (NTSC & PAL) and autoreverse laserdisc player known to be reliable. I restore audio gear so if there is any non-complicated restoration job to do I'm sure I can do it.
- What is recommended to give the best quality picture on modern HDTV flat screens. For example, some HDMI adaptor taking old video formats like LD / VHS ?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Hi-
I have not heard of multi-format Laser Disc players, so you would likely need separate ones for PAL and NTSC. The best players in the USA were always the higher-end Pioneer ones such as CLD-D704, and CLD-97 or 99 maybe?, but the best picture quality may be a matter of luck with flat-panel sets.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Regarding the plug conversion to mini-jack format, this should not hurt anything, due to the very short length of (possibly) mismatched connector impedance. This would only come into play for RF frequencies with a comparable wavelength - not a problem for video.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

You'll need to find a player intended for either European or Hong Kong market to play both PAL and NTSC discs. The most recent one would probably be the E or HK versions of the Pioneer DVL-919 (the US or Japanese version will not play PAL). This is a LD/DVD combo player from 1999. There were a couple of LD only players that came out a little later, but I don't think any of them were PAL compatible.

There are many video scalers that will convert composite video to HDMI, but they may not be better than the processing already built into your TV.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I assume you are using the composite out port and not the S-video port on the laserdisc player?
I find that the S-video comb filters on most laserdisc players are awful and you are far better using the composite line and let the TV handle the upscaling from composite (and no matter what it will not be pleasant on very large screens)
Audiokarma