Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

1980 Atari Missle Command Arcade Game Malfunction

Hello Everyone, I had bought from a friend of mine for $50 an original 1980 Atari Missle Command Upright Arcade Game that everying thing on it seems to work except for the video.

When I first got it the original Game PC Board had a corrupted memory chip which wouldn't allow the game to start up, well I was able to find a Game PCB for the game on eBay for $30 or something like that (I can't remember the exact amount all I know is that it was really cheap for what it was).
Anyways when I went to put that board into the game the game starts up without any issues (at least I'm guessing there's no issues because when I run the self test it beeps like its supposed to).
But yet there's no video at least not any that I can see of the screen looks very washed out and not a whole lot of color to it and you can barely make out anything on the screen as far as the game goes, also when I go to try and start a game it doesn't seem to want to try and start a game.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong with this game, and what I might be able to do to fix it?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

The monitor's CRT may be almost dead, from your description. Have you tried leaving the machine on for an hour or more to see if it gets any brighter?

As far as starting the game, can you read any of the print on screen? Can you tell if it accepts coins and gives you credit when you insert quarters?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The monitor's CRT may be almost dead, from your description. Have you tried leaving the machine on for an hour or more to see if it gets any brighter?

As far as starting the game, can you read any of the print on screen? Can you tell if it accepts coins and gives you credit when you insert quarters?
Well the machine was rewired so that you just flip a switch inside the machine to get credits, the coin-slots are no longer operable, and as for the display you cannot make out any text on the screen without having to look at it just right in the light.
As I had mentioned in the original posting the display is so badly washed out that you can barely tell its on unless you're up close looking at it, and the game's graphics look like screen burn-in instead of actual game graphics.

Any ideas as to where one might get a new monitor assembly for this unit without having to put out a ton of dough for it?
By the way there are a couple of arcade game repair shops near me but I have no way to transport the unit to the aforementioned shops and I don't want to have to pay the $60 house call fee to have the game looked at...
Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I have seen discussions of new arcade monitors being available in the recent past; a Google search may provide ideas. Regarding repairs, perhaps you can just unbolt the monitor from the cabinet and bring it to one of the shops. They should be able to test it without the rest of the machine. Have you been able to find brightness or contrast adjustments on the monitor to try?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Banned

Yes, I did look for those controls and adjusted them but no such luck the picture was still washed out looking.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Ah man!!!

I do hope you can get her going buddy!!!!!

I have a SUPER PACMAN game in my room (A couple times the screen has done some wierd things (Whole picture rolled across the screen several times one day))

Good luck to you!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ah man!!!

I do hope you can get her going buddy!!!!!

I have a SUPER PACMAN game in my room (A couple times the screen has done some wierd things (Whole picture rolled across the screen several times one day))

Good luck to you!!!
I hope so too, I would love to get the game going so that I can give it to my step-uncle for his gaming room/mancave in the basement of his house to go with his old pinball machine and his 1960s vintage AMI Jukebox.