Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

brightener for roundies

hey all , just wondering the crt brighteners for the round crts, 21fb,fj ect, what would i look for on ebay to find one as in the future i may need one for a weak crt i have hear unless i come across one better then the one i have hear. would it be 70 degree, i dont know what to look for or any number to look for any help would be great. thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

All a brightener does is jack up the heater voltage fed to the CRT heaters. Makes the cathode hotter, and that scares up more electrons. For a while. It shouldn't matter if the CRT is 70 degrees or something else.

That said, maybe one of the regulars on this forum with a Beltron CRT restorer lives nearby. This machine can make a new emissive layer on the tired surface of the cathodes. Not without its risks...
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

well i know it increases the voltage and i dont like having to ever use one but this set has a weak red gun although it does produce a good picture i would only use it as a last resort if i had to. the one i would like to find is the one with 3 switches for the 3 color guns but the one that plugs directly onto the crt and the other end of the brightener to the chassis plug that goes to the crt originally so there is no cutting wires and to only use one switch at a time if need be.

Last edited by timmy; 04-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Timmy,

I have a 3 switch (R G B) color gun killer I believe also acts as a brightener. It was manufactured by Perma-Power, Chicago, Ill. And is model # T-101. VKer's please correct me if this is not a brightener but just a color gun killer. This unit has the correct 70 degree female crt socket.
Just found this NOS color brightener currently available on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RMS-COLOR-CR...item232a17fb56

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-21-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
well i know it increases the voltage and i dont like having to ever use one but this set has a weak red gun although it does produce a good picture i would only use it as a last resort if i had to. the one i would like to find is the one with 3 switches for the 3 color guns but the one that plugs directly onto the crt and the other end of the brightener to the chassis plug that goes to the crt originally so there is no cutting wires and to only use one switch at a time if need be.
The heaters can't be boosted independantly, since all three are parallel-connected inside the CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I should have a spare brightener, not sure what types exactly. Let me know.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM
On Land

I have some roundie brighteners. I'd be glad to send you one.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Marco Bacigalupo

If it is possible, it's very better never use a brightner. It's really dangerous for the CRT health!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Timmy,

I have a 3 switch (R G B) color gun killer I believe also acts as a brightener. It was manufactured by Perma-Power, Chicago, Ill. And is model # T-101. VKer's please correct me if this is not a brightener but just a color gun killer. This unit has the correct 70 degree female crt socket.
Just found this NOS color brightener currently available on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RMS-COLOR-CR...item232a17fb56

-Steve D.
i did see that one on ebay but cant see the plug to make sure it will fit. but by it saying 70 degree button would that mean it will fit both the crt and the chassis plug , the large center on the crt is the button ? kind of big to be a button.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

CRTs with gray scale tracking issues are seldom helped sufficiently by a brightener.
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

i did have another issue with this crt that when i got this set i checked the crt for emissions and i had switched to 7 volts and the green gun went dark so i thought well thats the end for this one but when i put the voltage back to the color setting the green gun came back on then i went back to 7 volts again to see if it happens again but it never did and i tapped on the neck at different voltages to get it to go dark but it never did again. so i dont know why it had done that and now knowing that the heaters are parallel so it could not have been a bad connection at a given pin.