Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2005, 09:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Woodbury
Hi Jeff,

As for your concerns in keeping a 6v battery for your Zenith farm radio, I wonder if anyone makes a sealed 6v unit? In the auto and bike industry, sealed (12v) batteries are the norm. You can mount them upside down with no fear of spillage. Might be worth the research to put a radio in service.

Nolan, I mentioned the Zenith 6-V-27 farm-battery radio to make a point: that the external 6-volt car battery required to power these sets is prone to leakage, and if I had such a radio I wasn't sure I'd want the battery sitting below the radio in my living room, for fear of electrolyte leakage or worse. For one thing, those batteries are unsightly as all get out; for another, as I mentioned in my last post, they can leak electrolyte if improperly handled (I live in an apartment and cannot afford to risk such damage to the carpet). I personally do not own any make of farm-battery set; never have, even when I lived in a three-bedroom house with a basement until five and a half years ago. I don't have the room for anything as big as a 6V27 in my small apartment, as much as I'd like to have one (I've had a liking for Zenith radios and TVs for years).

Those old AM/shortwave sets are great, from what I've heard, and as I've mentioned before, my Royal 1000-1 brings in stations like a magnet, especially at night after the sun goes down. I can hear AM stations up and down the East Coast and the Eastern Seaboard all night long on this set, thanks to its high-performance circuitry (RF stage ahead of the antenna and so on); the daytime reception is great as well, as I can get stations just about anywhere in northeastern Ohio in daylight--even little 500-watt daytime-only stations, of which there are a few in this area. The radio sounds great as well. It doesn't have the bass response of my K-731, but still my T/O sounds much better than many if not most of today's portables.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.