Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Very nice technology. I have seen the 65-inch Sony 4K TV demo at local Fry's stores. It looks quite detailed, but you have to be VERY close (about 3-4 feet away from that 65-inch screen, maximum!) to see the difference. Further away than that, and a 1080P set is good enough.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Very nice technology. I have seen the 65-inch Sony 4K TV demo at local Fry's stores. It looks quite detailed, but you have to be VERY close (about 3-4 feet away from that 65-inch screen, maximum!) to see the difference. Further away than that, and a 1080P set is good enough.
Was it running true 4k content or upconverted stuff?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

This article cuts the hype: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06..._eyes_have_it/

An important message is that if you want any real benefit from 4K or 8K then you need a higher frame rate. Still pictures can use the full resolution but as soon as anything moves you lose a lot.

I saw a demo of NHK ultra high resolution TV during the Olympics. Not sure whether the screening was in 4K or 8K nor do I know the frame rate but it was impressive. On a big screen with wide angle shots you could see all the detail. It was like sitting in one of the best seats in the stadium.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
This article cuts the hype: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06..._eyes_have_it/

An important message is that if you want any real benefit from 4K or 8K then you need a higher frame rate. Still pictures can use the full resolution but as soon as anything moves you lose a lot.

I saw a demo of NHK ultra high resolution TV during the Olympics. Not sure whether the screening was in 4K or 8K nor do I know the frame rate but it was impressive. On a big screen with wide angle shots you could see all the detail. It was like sitting in one of the best seats in the stadium.
I wouldn't think you'd necessarily need a higher frame rate, but you'd definitely need a better bit rate than that at which current high-def video is encoded.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you mean, though, now that I've read the article. Yes, motion blur would still be a factor at 4K resolution given current frame rates.

Last edited by jmetal88; 07-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
Was it running true 4k content or upconverted stuff?
The demos at the Fry's stores are using true 4K video from a media-player box, to the best of my knowledge. It was definitely clearer than 1080P video.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The demos at the Fry's stores are using true 4K video from a media-player box, to the best of my knowledge. It was definitely clearer than 1080P video.
The sony media player is out, looks like a rip off if u ask me. It's a hard drive.

The 4k files are so freaking enormous, there is no disk.