Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

A75 talking book record player

A friend gave me this model A75 talking book record player that was built by Interstate Industries for the Library of Congress for loan to participants in the talking book program for the blind and physically handicapped. This unit plays 8, 16, and 33 rpm and uses an IC-based amp. When I got it, the volume was very weak; but, that was easily fixed by replacing an open 25 uf bypass cap on the audio IC.

During the '70's, these players came in many colors (usually, a different color for each model year).

Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 PM
Old TVs are better!

Just for your info, as my wife is blind and had one of these on loan from the state years ago, she used to receive records in both 8 rpm and 16 rpm from the state library. I believe hers was green in color. The library of congress still has older records, books, and textbooks on records that are still on loan from state library's. I'm not sure they still want them back, but they are property of the Library of Congress, or State libraries for the visually impaired. They mainly use digital players today and some cassettes, but I know the records are still in use and available.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Just for your info, as my wife is blind and had one of these on loan from the state years ago, she used to receive records in both 8 rpm and 16 rpm from the state library. I believe hers was green in color. The library of congress still has older records, books, and textbooks on records that are still on loan from state library's. I'm not sure they still want them back, but they are property of the Library of Congress, or State libraries for the visually impaired. They mainly use digital players today and some cassettes, but I know the records are still in use and available.
I can't speak for all libraries; but, my state library got rid of their records back around 2001-02. I had a friend who tried to turn in his record player when they phased out records; but, they told him they were already overrun with them and that he could keep it.

Yesterday, I received the quarterly newsletter from my state library and there was an article in there about the phasing out of cassettes. They said that they still had a small collection of books on tape and any patron who still had a working cassette machine could borrow them. They went on to say that if/when your cassette player breaks down; then, that would be the end of your cassette service because they are no longer able to repair or replace these machines when they fail.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that they are unable to replace a broken tape player, given all the machines that are out there. I have no problem with the digital books; but, this is just a way to insure that people move into the digital world faster.

The last actual talking book that I received on tape was back around 2010-2011. Magazines stayed on cassette a little while longer and the last one of those I got was about a year ago. In fact, I still have the last magazine that I received on cassette (we didn't have to send the magazines tapes back like we do the regular talking books). Today, all magazines and books are on digital cartridges that must be returned and my C1 cassette player has been in the closet for about a year. I guess I'll keep it on the slim chance that they ever send me a book on tape or in case they ever ask for the player to be returned.

Last edited by radiotvnut; 03-26-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

hello this is one of the worst models the best ones are the AE-3 tube type through to the A-71 models I know this because I had talking book services before...Timothy
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
hello this is one of the worst models the best ones are the AE-3 tube type through to the A-71 models I know this because I had talking book services before...Timothy
Actually, the worst one was the model A1 from the '90's. That one had some nice features about it; but, the amp in that model is very weak and tinny sounding. I agree that the tube models and the very early solid state models are better.
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

In some ways, this reminds me of the 33/45 RPM record players that were in my elementary school. Califone.

The one I really liked, I guess was from the 60s, had the name across the front and the C was very large, going into the speaker grille.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

That particular Califone was probably from the mid-to-late '50's, before Rheem bought them in the early '60's.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That particular Califone was probably from the mid-to-late '50's, before Rheem bought them in the early '60's.
Could be. To me, it had good sound to it.