Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

'64 Tonecrest console

A local dealer brought me this Tonecrest console for repair. I ended up talking him out of having it fixed because he would have gone in the hole on it, especially since consoles are hard to get rid of. He was going to pick it up and try to sell it like it is; but, he sent word for me to do as I pleased with it.

Looking at the control panel, I figured it would have been solid state. I was surprised to see tubes inside and even more surprised to see a power transformer. Usually, these cheaper store brand consoles have a hot chassis. It uses a 6BM8 output tube for each channel. The record changer is gunked up and the radio has some filter hum along with dirty controls. There is also an EM84 indicator tube (that's bad); but, there is only a small hole on the dial for it to be seen. The tubes are labeled "Ultratone".

Looking at the filter cap, I can tell that the power supply is not very beefy; since the highest voltage rating of any of the capacitor sections is 200 volts. I'll look around in my junk for some parts to patch it back up, as I really don't want to spend much money on it. After that, I don't know where it will end up. I'm sure it will have to find a new home one day.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice score!
It looks like a nice small console.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

That unit was made by Audio Industries, of Michigan City, Indiana. Lot of the units they built seemed to be faily decent. They built mainly private label products.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

never seen one of those. neat score