Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

QRS model 15 wind-up phonograph

I found this QRS model 15 wind-up phonograph at the flea market. She showed me that it worked; but, it has problems. They wanted $150 for it and I managed to get them down to $100. After bringing it home, I realized that I probably still paid too much for it. I've wanted a wind-up portable for a long time; but, they almost never show up around here and when they do show up, they are in really bad shape and overpriced more than this one was.

I was able to play two records on it; but, the mechanism was very noisy. Now, the platter will turn; but, the weight of the tonearm stops the platter. Also, there are some tears in the covering and the only way I know to fix it is to paint over the torn spots. The door on the needle cup is broken off; but, I should be able to find a needle cup somewhere.

There is a metal piece, pictured below, that fell out of the machine. I don't know if this piece is supposed to go with the machine or not.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this brand or how old this phonograph is?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Peanut Head

My family had one almost identical to it when I was a kid. The mechanism probably needs service. Like any clockworks, cleaning, lubrication is required. Also, the governors tend to break on these. That may be what fell out and the spring may new be weak and need replacement. The newer springs are made of better grade of alloyed steel and don't break or weaken like the old ones.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
electronics packrat

QRS was a manufacturer of player pianos and piano rolls. This machine dates from the mid-1920's. These were entry-level machines which sold for around $15 new. Is your noise a rumble coming from the motor? If so, it's most likely dried up grease gumming up the works. This is a common issue in unrestored spring-wound phonographs. If the noise is a rattle heard while playing a record, then the gaskets on your soundbox need to be replaced. This is also a common issue. Two to three records per full winding is about all these machines will do due to the small single-spring motors they have.