Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pricing? Too Steep?

hey guys,

check these sets, Admiral and Zenith. The Admiral was apparently recapped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zen...LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RETRO-1960s...LH_TitleDesc=0

Are these types of sets really going for that high? Is the admiral from a member here? I didn't see these sets posted, sorry if they were already discussed.

I'm trying to find a 19" or so portable for daily viewing ever since my Zenith conked out and I have yet to solve the problem it is experiencing.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

i guess to answer that depends on your perspective. I would never pay that much for those but would tickled to death if someone offered me that much for one in my collection. i accepted a offer in that range of price for a tube chassis 15 inch color zenith portable from a fellow collector here on VK about 2 years ago.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 PM
M is for Memory

Monochrome sets like those are not rare enough to command those prices among collectors. Those are $40-$150 sets depending on if they were fully restored and how much value one places on restoration.

Also buying working sets and having them shipped is a crap shoot at best. I try to always buy in person and transport in my Car/Truck when possible.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with Tom based on my experience at the ETF auctions and The Kutztown radio show in PA, which is probably the largest of its kind on the east coast. The Admiral I would value between $30-$50 dollars and the Zenith with the roll cart between $80-$120 dollars. Although I could see that one go for upwards of $200 in the right bidding war because of its style.
As far as Ebay prices in general, most of those people are on crack. My theory is that once upon a time, some loon listed a junk tv for $324.99, and others unrelated to the hobby saw this and listed their junk for a similar amount thinking it's worth big money. What these people fail to realize is that 99.99999% of that crap listed never sold and never will. Keep in mind that vintage TV collecting is a great challenging hobby, but it is a very narrow collector market that is percieved as worthless to the general public outside this community.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Administrator

The first one's a $50 set (on a good day) and a rusty $10 stand, they are charging for the slick glossy photography.

If the set hasn't been recapped it's not likely to work for long.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
The first one's a $50 set (on a good day) and a rusty $10 stand, they are charging for the slick glossy photography.

If the set hasn't been recapped it's not likely to work for long.
That model Zenith didn't need complete recapping Except for the electrolytics.
That model Zenith was the lowest priced model, that year! Probably from the mid to later 60's.
The Admiral set is from the earlier 60's, a better model, but not that valuable or desirable.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is that zenith the one major nelson has in his bedroom on jeannie ?