Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I thought so to because its a pretty solid unit and it was working 90% already besides the idler tire and the one belt I had to replace. It definitely gives off that "1980's movie vibe" when you play a movie on it, but of course I'm using it with a flatpanel TV so the picture isn't going to look the greatest on it being that you're playing an analog video source on a digital TV.
Get yourself a good 27" Sony Trinitron Wega and forget about that flatpanel rubbish. Those newer sets, just don't do the vintage equipment justice. The pictures are too "grainy" AFAIC.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 AM
TheUniversalDave1

This machine has bad electrolytic capacitors in the switching power supply. If you use this frequently, the capacitors will degrade and the picture will become unstable. Eventually the machine will not power up. I have several Panasonics from this time period with that problem.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
This machine has bad electrolytic capacitors in the switching power supply. If you use this frequently, the capacitors will degrade and the picture will become unstable. Eventually the machine will not power up. I have several Panasonics from this time period with that problem.
Interestingly enough I don't think this unit has a switching power supply, I think it has a cold chassis non-switching power supply because its not the usual removeable switching power supply like I've seen in other Panasonics from the same time period...
Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Get yourself a good 27" Sony Trinitron Wega and forget about that flatpanel rubbish. Those newer sets, just don't do the vintage equipment justice. The pictures are too "grainy" AFAIC.
I actually do have a 27" Sony Trinitron in my basement that's from 2000. And it works quite well considering where I got it from.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I actually do have a 27" Sony Trinitron in my basement that's from 2000. And it works quite well considering where I got it from.
I still marvel at the picture quality of the Sony's.
I always wonder, just what makes them so damned heavy.
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have that model somewhere here.I love those Panasonic VCRs.I agree with dieseljeep.Use the older CRT monitor sets for VCR repair or watching.Any 1970's to 1990's CRT sets will work great for the job.

Those linear stereo VCRs were OK if you record at SP but if you record in SLP/EP .They sound like AM radio or a crappy online webstream.

The HiFi stereo units started coming out around the same time so I picked up the Panasonic PV-9600 HiFi portable then and the NEC HIFi tabletop VCR 8 months later..
Old 01-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I still marvel at the picture quality of the Sony's.
I always wonder, just what makes them so damned heavy.
I heard that what makes the Sony's so heavy is their shadow masks because they're designed quite large compared to a normal TV. And what's funny is that when I first found my Trinitron I thought it was a 19" at first but it turned out to be a 27" once I got it home and got to looking at the model number.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I have that model somewhere here.I love those Panasonic VCRs.I agree with dieseljeep.Use the older CRT monitor sets for VCR repair or watching.Any 1970's to 1990's CRT sets will work great for the job.

Those linear stereo VCRs were OK if you record at SP but if you record in SLP/EP .They sound like AM radio or a crappy online webstream.

The HiFi stereo units started coming out around the same time so I picked up the Panasonic PV-9600 HiFi portable then and the NEC HIFi tabletop VCR 8 months later..
I do have one Hi-Fi Stereo VCR in my Collection a Sony Prosumer Grade unit from about 1990 a model SLV-575UC which does work quite nicely yet considering it was a goodwill find, it even came with its original remote.
The rest of my VCRs are mono units besides this linear stereo unit, which has pretty nice sound for what it is when you playback a prerecorded tape.
I mostly just use my VCRs for playing prerecorded tapes only because I have no way to record anymore, so even a linear stereo unit is just fine for what I need.

Last edited by Captainclock; 01-05-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the same vcr it works good i had to replace the idler tire in it
i have a parts one also it has bad heads i got it for $15 with remote from goodwill
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Interestingly enough I don't think this unit has a switching power supply, I think it has a cold chassis non-switching power supply because its not the usual removeable switching power supply like I've seen in other Panasonics from the same time period...
Even though it may not be the rectangular removeable power supply utilized in later models I believe it is one of the early SM power supplies. I'm surprised it doesn't need capacitors. Maybe they've already been replaced. On any event, have fun with it!
Audiokarma
Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Even though it may not be the rectangular removeable power supply utilized in later models I believe it is one of the early SM power supplies. I'm surprised it doesn't need capacitors. Maybe they've already been replaced. On any event, have fun with it!
Thanks, I have been having fun with it, its interesting watching period movies on it because it definitely has the stereotypical "1980s" VCR look to it when its playing tapes.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic PV-1730 was the 1984 4-head Hi-Fi stereo model, first one built.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Panasonic PV-1730 was the 1984 4-head Hi-Fi stereo model, first one built.
I was going to buy that model but waited to get the PV-9600 portable in 1985.I had it setup along with the Realistic MTS stereo receiver.

I would get more use out of the portable then the home deck at the time.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I was going to buy that model but waited to get the PV-9600 portable in 1985.I had it setup along with the Realistic MTS stereo receiver.
Ah yes.. the PV-A860 docking station that came with. Fixed a-many of those. Some mechanical problems with the docking latch mechanism, others with multiple burned components on the board.

Does yours still work?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Ah yes.. the PV-A860 docking station that came with. Fixed a-many of those. Some mechanical problems with the docking latch mechanism, others with multiple burned components on the board.

Does yours still work?
Thats a good question.It probably needs recapping and a overhaul. I had no problem with the deck latch but it had its share of problems with the dock .As you sail burned parts on the board. The docking station had blown one of those green special SIP chips within a year of purchase .The deck had its share of issues of going out of alignment and HIfi motor boating.Over the years I pick up a couple of them and equiv models of the 9600.

Since you dont get much time out of the internal battery .I end up powering it with a 12volt 7 amp alarm battery from Radio Shack along with the Panasonic 12 volt car battery adapter.Got alot of recording time with that setup.

With the PV-1730.I should of picked up that model or the PV-1740 instead of the NEC 965U in 1987 but the built in MTS decoder which I was looking for was in the NEC .The NEC was broken down more than used.

With the 9600 /Realistic MTS tuner combo .Got alot of timer set programs screwed up and silent movies and TV shows recorded with the separate MTS tuner when for getting to turn it on and or putting it on the right channel.
Audiokarma