Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Congratulations crtfool on acquiring your Sony Indextron!

Post more pics please, I'd love to see them. :-)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks etype2 - I have not turned it on again since I received because I want to look inside to see the condition of the capacitors, etc. Hopefully I will get to it soon, and if everything looks good, then I will try and take more pictures. How are things going with your Indextron?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Should have it up and running soon. I'm having a professional work on it. I will post some photos and details.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great - looking forward to seeing it in operation. I know that all these surviving Indextrons must be recapped, but it would be great if there are any out there that can stay factory virgin! I would think it would be worth more that one that has been opened and altered.

OT - I sent you a PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a major heads-up for any VIDIMAGIC INDEXTRON fans - it looks really nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Vidimagic-F...item3cafa5b0a1

I am not affiliated with this auction.
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks! I suspect that I will follow this closely and throw in a bid, if things don't get too crazy!
jr
Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

jr - Go for it, I am not going to bid - not really my thing, and also low on funds for toys at this time - I never know when a MUST have item will along.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
jr - Go for it, I am not going to bid - not really my thing, and also low on funds for toys at this time - I never know when a MUST have item will along.

Won it! thanks for the tip!
jr
Old 08-12-2010, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey! Well Done!

Now start hunting for a high gain metal or glass-beaded screen to really make it a pleasure to watch - Think Advent projector screen for instance,

others will surely chime in with other/more modern solutions.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

jr - GREAT, glad you got it! I watched the auction end, surprised that there was only 1 bid - better for you!
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Has'n Fras'n dirty Ras'n...Ahh HATE Yew....(Best Yosemite Sam imitation here) Seriously, GREAT score ! Glad to see it went to one of us !
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, lets keep this going.

I have one of the non-beta versions and will never do anything with it. Had it two or three years and forget if it even tries to work. The first one to PM me (via a reply here to determine first place) AND willing to pick it up at Kutztown in September gets it free.

I do not want to try to pack it for shipping. Pickup at Kutztown only. My little Indextron is enough for me. Get your pony-express going.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I heard a pretty loud thump on the front porch today as the perspiring UPS man dropped off a 54 pound package... Wow! this is much bigger than I expected, I was thinking that it was not likely much larger than a Sony KV-5200 with the addition of a lens on the front and Beta deck on the back! The projector measures about 9"x9"x26" and must weigh about 40 lbs!
Without even giving it a second thought, after it was un-boxed, I plugged it in, hooked up a DVD player, and started watching a video projected (dimly) on the wall.
Perhaps I should have been more cautious and brought it up with a Variac, but it is playing fine! What a cool application of the technology of 1984.
I took a picture of the image projected on the wall (about 5.5 ft diagonal, 16:9 aspect) and you can see that it is fairly low resolution and the color stripes show up... Pix 1
If you "look down the lens" it looks like Pix 2 (except it is upside-down)
Great fun!
jr

PS: I suspect that the performance is similar to the tiny Pico Pocket projector... Pix 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0979.jpg (55.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0968.jpg (56.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0985.jpg (46.0 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 08-18-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: add pix
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Anytime I read stories about this, or the CT-100, or any other kinds of long-ago exotica, I'm reminded of the scene in the FIRST "Star Wars" when Obi-Wan introduces Luke to the light saber..How it was an elegant weapon from a different age...That sentiment kinda sums up why I collect this stuff...I think of what our merry band of Mad Monks here cherish, Indextrons, CT-100s, 621TS, CTC-7s, etc, & then I stroll thru the local Screaming Yellow Zonker-style TV emporium w/all the cheap & nasty DLPs, LCDs, DVDs & hang my head in shame...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Sandy,

I think that we love the vintage stuff because we understand how much research, long hours of work and sometimes sheer genius was involved to turn ideas into working products. They were also built as quality products because "last and repair" was the then current philosophy.

Personnally, i wouldn't jeer at what the last 30 years have brought us in terms of electronic marvels: Quantum-dot lasers, LCDs, taking a 150 year old chemical curiosity and turning it into bright colorful pictures, speaking of micro-projectors like the one showed above it uses a LCOS light engine and a 2W LED, what a wonder! and how about CPUs soon reaching the billion transistors per chip.

I have much respect for the people that developped these technologies. However they are let down by deliberate corner-cutting to force throwaway 2 years after purchase. THAT is where the problem resides, the technology is not flawed "per se" only the deliberate choice to produce it with a finite (short) life.

We make Comm' satellites that are sold with a guaranteed 12-15 year lifetime operating 60x 100W transmitters in the harshest environment known to man: Space, and we couldn't build an LCD/OLED/Plasma screen guaranteed to work for 15-20 years...

I bet that in the technologies described above, there will be some Nobel Prizes distributed, today's scientist are just as inventive as their colleagues of yesteryears.

Just my 2 Euro opinion

Best Regards

jhalphen
Audiokarma