Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Buying new CRT

How was everyone’s experience buying new CRTs? Anyone have any experiences buying some of the early color tubes?

I’ve been thinking for awhile, I’ve seen RCA ads in the mid 60’s that depict most of the CRT’s spanning postwar up to the time of the ad. When did they stop producing the postwar (round) black and white tubes? (Say the 10BP4 for example) and what about prewar tubes? Did they manufacture any more prewar tubes postwar?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:00 AM
I love old stuff

Buying new C.R.T.'s = buying unesed picture tubes or buying an C.R.T. tv set produced in zi year 2016-2018?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, I see I didn't specify. I was referring to back in the 40s, 50s and 60s.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 PM
I love old stuff

My maternal grandfather had one of this around 1959: http://rw6ase.narod.ru/00/twcb_/rubin102.html
Lasted around 28 years (not to much programing untill 1969). It was one of the 1st people in nebeirghood where he, his wife and my mother lived. And I think it was one of the 1st 50,000 (fifty thousand) people in Bucharest to have a tv set. When it was warm outside he put the tv on the window so other people could watch tv. A tv set was very expensive in Romania back then.
My paternal grandparents (my father also had no siblings) got an 'National' V.S. 43-614 around 1961. They used it 'till around 1982. That 'National' was a "National-Panasonic" tv set assambled in Romania. After they stoped using it they gave it to a relative and it ended up in the country side.

Color television camed in Romania only after the '60's.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 07-27-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:44 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Buying new C.R.T.'s = buying unesed picture tubes or buying an C.R.T. tv set produced in zi year 2016-2018?
I think he is talking about replacement CRT to put into an old set that burnt out it's original CRT.

If my understanding of history is correct they would make new CRTs for as long as they made sets that would use them plus some additional new CRTs for initial replacement stock...Once enough replacements sold the trade in on the duds would give the rebuilders a sufficient supply of duds to work from.

Once new sets stopped using any given CRT number and enough duds were going through rebuilders new ones stopped being made and ones for sale after that were usually rebuilds or new old stock... IIRC some makers also made runs of special replacement types that were designed to sub for as many different CRTs as possible.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma