Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Beautiful house.Carmine
Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
Beautiful house.Carmine
Definitely!
Your taste is great and everything looks neat and tidy

Back on topic:
Surprising how many of you guys still use CRT TVs
I planned replacing my almost 30 years old but fully functional B&O MX7000 with the new Sony 48 inch OLED.
So far so good.
On the other hand: The business I'm working in is quite going down thanks to Covid19 and the terror attack here in Vienna also was not an improvemet for the difficult situation we are in
Old 12-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Hobbyist

My living room consists of 3 TV's, a 2011 Samsung LCD that is left on almost 24/7 (so I don't ruin my CRT sets with 24/7 use).

When I'm ACTUALLY in there and watching TV I turn it off and either watch on my lil 1982 b&w 5" TMK or my 1964 Zenith b&w 19" portable.

In my garage/shop I use a 1992 Magnavox 25", great tv for gaming

Last edited by Airedale; 12-14-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Love the B&W one .
Old 12-14-2020, 08:59 PM
On Land

I have not, as of yet, purchased a modern TV. My current main TV to watch is the Zenith in the top right of this photo. I occasionally watch the RCA roundie. And yes, i use that nearly 20 yr old Panasonic VCR on a daily basis since I do not have the hopper!

The LG VCR/DVD on top is a piece of junk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LivingRoom3.jpg (115.6 KB, 54 views)

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2020, 10:10 AM
M is for Memory

I've got the same Zenith porthole. Mine worked as found with only 4 of the paper caps replaced with orange drops some time in the 60s (based on replacement tubes in it).

Those CTC9s are nice sets...I wish I had enough floor space to turn my wide console upright and use it regularly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-15-2020, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have not, as of yet, purchased a modern TV. My current main TV to watch is the Zenith in the top right of this photo. I occasionally watch the RCA roundie. And yes, i use that nearly 20 yr old Panasonic VCR on a daily basis since I do not have the hopper!

The LG VCR/DVD on top is a piece of junk.
Most of the VCR/DVD combinations are trouble prone!
I have several I picked up at the thrift stores and most of them are junk.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:23 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've got the same Zenith porthole. Mine worked as found with only 4 of the paper caps replaced with orange drops some time in the 60s (based on replacement tubes in it).
That was the same exact situation with this porthole... damn near all the original caps in there and made a pretty decent picture as it was. Just got better as I replaced the rest. I don't turn it on very often.

My Panasonic combo has been a really good performer thru the years. Seems I found the Panasonic brand to be the most reliable for VCRs. That LG has some neat features... it's a VCR/DVD recorder... but wasn't really that reliable even when it was new.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
That was the same exact situation with this porthole... damn near all the original caps in there and made a pretty decent picture as it was. Just got better as I replaced the rest. I don't turn it on very often.

My Panasonic combo has been a really good performer thru the years. Seems I found the Panasonic brand to be the most reliable for VCRs. That LG has some neat features... it's a VCR/DVD recorder... but wasn't really that reliable even when it was new.
I've got an older Panasonic DVR/DVD recorder unit that has been through ~8 years of 10 hours recording/playback a week and the only maintenance it needed was a new PATA hard drive (that dates it) after the old one completely died. Panasonic has my respect for making the unit capable of formating a new drive to work in it.
It's more of an emergency back up now than a watching unit since I have to use an HDMI capture device to timeshift cable in HD.

If you are at sea for long stretches I'd imagine you'd want more recording time to keep up with shows.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:26 PM
On Land

Quote:
If you are at sea for long stretches I'd imagine you'd want more recording time to keep up with shows.
Are you kidding? We have 43" HD sets in each room with Direct TV. I don't miss a lot! Actually, I only watch a limited amount of TV at sea. I do, however, have a couple of shows I keep up with while i am out there.

Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2020, 04:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Are you kidding? We have 43" HD sets in each room with Direct TV. I don't miss a lot! Actually, I only watch a limited amount of TV at sea. I do, however, have a couple of shows I keep up with while i am out there.
As someone who has always had OTA or cable I forget satalite exists sometimes...

Old 12-16-2020, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post

I have had two Toshiba VCRs / DVDs for almost 15 years and have never had a problem with this kind of device and my two devices work almost every day since I have a good collection of VHS and DVDs that I guard for a very long time. To say it would be bullshit or 'junk' is a bit of an exaggeration on your part. Even with minimal maintenance (lens cleaning for my DVD players) and cleaning and lubrication (cart grease and other trinkets from VHS players) it drives great. I also have a very cheap DVD player whose name has been deleted for a long time due to overuse and which I use less now, still well maintained anyway (I still maintain my devices), will last a good longer a long time .

And all my old TVs are Toshiba excepted a RCA that i have since yesterday . they run great . Every 6 months , i open them and use a can of compressed air everywhere, being careful. So these are simple maintenance, but my devices are going to last quite a bit longer than average.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:34 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

Still running a Panasonic CT-34WX54 TAU series widescreen CRT for my daily watching and as my computer monitor using the HDMI input, far better than an LCD big screen
Old 12-26-2020, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I picked them at the thrift stores for less than $5.00 US dollars. For that money, you can't expect much! I know nothing about how they were taken care of. Maybe the former owner had problems with it and got rid of it. I just buy the ones that are clean and looked like they were cared for.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
As someone who has always had OTA or cable I forget satalite exists sometimes...
I was suckered in the late 90's, Direct TV.
Lesson learned!
Audiokarma