Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb Zenith radio

Hi. I need several days to heal from an infected foot, but, may have some good news for you. Get me the model no. I have a slightly ratty one, but, not broken. Between the 2 you can make one good one. If it's the right model, and you want it, you may have it for the cost of shipping, and packaging. I DO NOT use Friz EX.. By the way, other speaker they talk about has the output of other channel, as well. It was an optional extra by Zenith. 'Tis true. That radio plays pretty good.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Bill, please read my PM for details, but let me give a public thanks for your generous and kind offer. Good folks hang out around this place! I already knew that, but this gesture is a nice reminder. Thanks again everybody-
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Electronics Accumulator

I've had my fair share of stuff shipped to me, and so far have had pretty good luck with it all, only a few minor damages to report. But one story bears telling - I had bought something on ebay, a Zenith Z-19 computer terminal (I collect old computers too). This is one of those all in one, monitor/keyboard mounted together computer terminals. It's kinda heavy, probably about 30 pounds. I was at home when I heard a loud >WHAM!< at the front door. I open it, only to find a battered Viewsonic monitor box, upside down, on the doorstep. I opened it, and lo and behold, the terminal had made it through intact. It was packed very well, with hard foam and carpet padding, and bubble wrap to boot, and the terminal itself was inside a heavy garbage bag, taped around to keep out foam crud. I was glad it was so well packed, but amazed at the amount of noise that it made when it was delivered - they really must have thrown the thing at the door! There was even a smudge on the door where the box must have hit it. Amazing. That was UPS. United Parcel Smashing, I think.

Also - a question for El Predicta - what did you say the postal service has been doing to predictas? Are they actually opening the packages or do they just have the knack for dropping them at the right angle to knock the CRT socket loose? Please elaborate - this could be some postal service plot to control our television viewing habits. Or not. But it sounds interesting...

-Ian
Old 01-21-2006, 11:58 PM
electronics packrat

I always have things shipped by parcel post whenever possible. I've had a Webster-Chicago wire recorder damaged by UPS and a Ampro reel-to-reel damaged by Fedex.
Luckily the damage was minor in both cases and easily repaired. A friend of mine had an Orthophonic Victor phonograph arrive in pieces once though, courtesy of UPS.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Predicta CRT sockets removed

This happened 5 times in 2005. One, going to Japan through customs, is understandable. Others, like me shipping from Texas to Atlanta, or from Texas to Memphis, or to Calfornia, is not. Since I'm the shipper and not the recipient on the above-I have no way of checking how USPS (4 times) and DHL-got into the well-packed boxes. Another time I was the USPS recipient on one sent me from Arizona. Same weird deal-as you may know, some effort's required to do this to a Predicta, remove the screws holding the plastic cover, etc. On the one I received, I made it a point to ask the sender if the crt had been unplugged before shipping; SHE assured me it had not. Lately, I've been using Fed Ex & no unplugged crt's!!
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Space is best Protection

What ever you ship, ask seller to use big double boxes, ending up being 3-5 times bigger than item shipped--- with plenty of packing. Label fragile and insure very well, these companies may handle items differently if must pay out large insurance claims,--- & at least someone will get their @ss chewed for DROPPING that expensive item off tailgate.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Will fix about Anything

Never use the words, Vintage, Antique, Rare, Old, and some others, in a claim, if you do they will only insue it for $100 !!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:16 AM
<----Zenith C845

Every Zenith radio I've gotten on ebay to date was shipped to me via UPS, and arrived here without a scratch. The radios were also packed well, no complaints about that.

UPS has never thrown anything at my door. I live in a small town; maybe UPS is more careful about package handling in these places well outside metropolitan areas?

BTW (for Nolan Woodbury): I saw a Zenith MJ-1035 AM/FM/stereo FM radio on ebay the other day (two days ago, IIRC) and thought of you when I saw it. I don't know if it's still there, but if you're interested, have a look at it. If it has already been sold, I'd just keep looking. I know you're looking for a set like this to replace the one that was wrecked on its way to you last year. The MJ-1035 isn't especially rare, but they don't turn up every day on ebay either. I see more K-731s on the bay, however, than '1035s or even C845s. Those '731s (not to mention Zenith's other 1950s wood-cased AM/FM radios) must have been very popular in their day if they show up so often. I wouldn't dream of selling or otherwise disposing of any of my Zeniths, especially the K731 atop my refrigerator. These radios are pieces of history today, the likes of which we will never see again--unfortunately. The worst mistakes the Zenith Radio Corporation made, IMHO, were to quit making radios and to leave Chicago for Korea.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Shaken, not stirred

I appreciate the thought Jeff...from one Zenith aficionado to another! But I did get one, and it's a beauty! Check the Threads in Forum menu ("Here's my newest set") dated 1-17-06 for pics and details. Yeah, I found it on eBay and I was sweating bullets ‘till it arrived safely.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that big, heavy radios like the MJ1035 are more susceptible to shipping damage than other sets, Zenith or otherwise. On the MJ, the chassis (receiver and main speakers) are fastened to the cabinet by the same four screw/plastic nut method as all Zeniths of the era. But because it's heaver (more tubes, more transformers, more everything) it is more fragile and specific blows -especially ones from the side or corner- can really take their toll. This is what happened to my first MJ; the blow from the side was so severe it ripped the chassis from the wood with a force so severe it shattered the tuner and snapped the volume shaft in half. Ouch. Sure, it's great to have a parts radio but I didn't feel so cheery when it happened. It is wise to know what you're getting into.

The whole eBay/shipping thing for antique radios is a mixed bag. eBay is great for finding specific sets or models...after all, how many times have you walked into an antique shop or second hand store and found the EXACT radio you're looking for? The flip side of course, is the shipping and the possible rip-offs that occur because of it. If the set was valuable enough, it might make sense to hire a dedicated shipping firm for delivery, but that opens a whole new can or worms. You buy the radio, you roll the dice...