Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster
Do any of these buildings have human staff of any significant number? Sure, there's no hum on anything, but how do they heat up their lunches if they can't fire up a microwave oven? These can't be residential buildings. Try and find any DC-only kitchen appliances.
Tom
Some equipment using switching power supplies might be able to run off of 120VDC. Though most such supplies expect to see 120V RMS, which when bridge rectified and capacitor filtered, see about 160VDC before it hits the high frequency chopper/transformer. SOme switching power supplies can run on anything between 100V to 240VAC, but a switching power supply fed 120VDC would have to be designed to accept 85V AC. SOme *might* still work on that...

Besides, that DC from ConEd probably isn't that pure. It's likely to just be rectified AC. Maybe from a 3 phase AC supply, so the low points don't hit zero. (the next positive phase waveform takes over before the first phase's zero crossing). Full of ripple.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Come to think of it, I also looked at a 30s Zenith tombstone radio for a guy that was 32v. It was otherwise the same radio as the "Waltons" set that I suppose is one of the prized Zeniths.
I wonder if there were 32v Stratospheres???

Charles
Old 12-30-2005, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

32v was pretty popular across rural America back in the thirties. I often hear of "Delco light plants" that were just 32v generators. After rural electrification there could not have been very many folks who stayed with the old setups.

I think with the AC/DC sets DC wasn't so much part of the planned design as it was just an added benefit. The vast majority of buyers had AC. I bet if you piled up all the tube radios ever built, 80% of them would be All-American Fivers. That cheap chassis allowed everyone to have a radio, and almost everyone to have several radios. It may not have been a safe design back in the thirties but things were different back then-lots of cars were still in service with crank starters, electric fans had holes in the guards big enough to stick your foot in-by the fifties these were built a lot safer.