Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 AM
bimini3

Catalin Repair?

I bought a Catalin DeWalt A-501 radio at an auction last night. (for less than $100!!!!!).

Other than needing cleaned up a bit it is in very good condition. With one major exception (which I knew about while bidding). It has a clean / clear through crack in the top of the case. It is hard to see because it is so clean but it runs along the entire top of the case.

What is the proper way to repair this crack? Is it worth sending to a professional restorer or can a handy person make the repairs with professional results?

The radio is a beauty. Dark brown marbled catalin case and knobs with a wonderful butterscotch catalin grill.

The cord is also brittle and cracked. It looks like a fairly modern brown lamp cord. Is this the original cord? What is the right cord for this radio? I think it has the original plug (it is covered with tape).

I know how to do the electrical referbishment (if required) but I have never worked with Catalin.

Yes, I know, pictures! I will try to get a couple on today after I clean it up a tad.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Best left to a professional. Here's a link to Paul Pontrello, best in the biz:
http://www.halcyon.com/smiles/repairs.html

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Ambler, PA