Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

'89 Panasonic console score

Set is long gone. CRT had a massive scratch and a couple of small ones.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-23-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM
The lead ear.

Oh noes! The far flung futuristic year of 1989? You'll get laughed at and/or ridiculed for liking a TV made after about 1982 here.

I kid, I kid. Mostly.

Nice score. My friend also had Panasonic console, but it looked nothing like that. No stand, and the control door was at the top. It was a great set though. Glad someone appreciates the more modern consoles and sets in general.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

That looks like a high end set. Oh, and I understand how it can take awhile to get to things. There's stuff over here that's been waiting on me for 15-20 years to get to it.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder if this set was available only in Canada? I haven't seen the full USA Panasonic line; but, most of the Panasonic/Quasar consoles from this time period that are seen in the USA are rather crappy. Your set looks to be several notches above what I'm used to seeing from Panasonic in the way of consoles.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

^ The previous owners said it was a $900 set when new, I think. I saw a Panasonic console that had been curbed very recently. It was a '90, a bit taller than wide, particle board cabinet with moisture damage at the bottom, mono audio input, control door missing I believe, three of the four casters missing. Finally, it had been placed there upside-down.

@ Rod Beauvex: Thank goodness I have the '82 RCA ColorTrak then, my saving grace. Normally I wouldn't bother with such a recent set, unless it's a well-made console like this one, which makes it look older to me in a way.
Audiokarma
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
The lead ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
@ Rod Beauvex: Thank goodness I have the '82 RCA ColorTrak then, my saving grace. Normally I wouldn't bother with such a recent set, unless it's a well-made console like this one, which makes it look older to me in a way.
Well, as I said, I'm glad there is someone else who appreciates the later consoles. I think there was some great sets made after the early 80s. I think by about the mid nineties, the technology had matured, and there was just nowhere else to really go.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Nowhere to go but down anyway. My 2005 Sanyo 20-inch flat-screen CRT TV, which was curbed after I got my first vintage TV set up and verified working, had a weird problem that caused parts of the screen to discolor with a blank blue screen (always) or a static image (often). This would clear up with anything on play though.

This console TV, in its nearly-new condition, is a wish finally fulfilled after about 2 decades. One day when I was in my early double-digits, I went to Tel-Star TV, which was just down the street from me at the time, and checked out a new console TV. The one I have is slightly older of course, but close enough. Hopefully I can get an original remote and a new control panel door, or at least fix the one that's there.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
The lead ear.

I think you should still consider a full recap, just to do this awesome set justice.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
M is for Memory

When a screen that is supposed to be a solid primary color(red, green, or blue) has discolored blotches that is a problem with the purity. Purity issues can be fixed by degaussing the screen and or preforming a purity adjustment.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

^ The Sanyo had that problem since new. Pardon my ignorance, but don't modern CRT sets degauss automatically, at least sometimes? Also, the discoloring would come on fairly gradually. Doesn't matter much I guess, that set was worth nothing to me. It replaced a 1989 Magnasonic whose vertical deflection cut out. The Magnasonic was in horrible cosmetic shape anyway, but that's because I didn't take care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
I think you should still consider a full recap, just to do this awesome set justice.
Duly noted.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
M is for Memory

Sometimes the internal degauss don't cut it or breaks without affecting anything else. Sometimes the purity adjustment magnets need to be tweaked.
Anything new enough to not use any tubes, besides the CRT, I don't work on or care much about aside from as a source of parts.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

To each his own. My first TV, also my only tube TV, was a hand-down b&w portable Admiral, white plastic case.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Followin' the Rules...

...two antenna inputs? Possible PIP set?

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

^ Good question, I have no idea. I couldn't find out anything about this TV online. To get a really good look at the control panel I'll have to get down on the floor. I do have a universal remote that was given to me with it. I'll have to go into the menu to see what I can find.

Edit: No PIP tuner, just an ANT button that triggers a relay and makes ANT 2 appear and disappear from the on-screen display. Other than controlling power and volume, the universal remote is pretty useless on this thing.

Forgot to mention, it has S-video in as well.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-08-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
^ Good question, I have no idea. I couldn't find out anything about this TV online. To get a really good look at the control panel I'll have to get down on the floor. I do have a universal remote that was given to me with it. I'll have to go into the menu to see what I can find.

Edit: No PIP tuner, just an ANT button that triggers a relay and makes ANT 2 appear and disappear from the on-screen display. Other than controlling power and volume, the universal remote is pretty useless on this thing.

Forgot to mention, it has S-video in as well.
Just an antenna switch. Like A= roof antenna & B= cable.
Sometimes the B wouldnt pass UHF

73 Zeno
Audiokarma