Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 PM
The Resident Brony

C6's are alright. The funny thing is that they're Ford's knockoff of Chrysler's Torqueflite. Ford wanted to license the TF, but they got shit from the media for not making their own, so they copied it instead. Legit if you open a C6 and a TF next to each other, several parts look the same.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
C6's are alright. The funny thing is that they're Ford's knockoff of Chrysler's Torqueflite. Ford wanted to license the TF, but they got shit from the media for not making their own, so they copied it instead. Legit if you open a C6 and a TF next to each other, several parts look the same.
They paid Chrysler $7.5M for the rights to build the Torqueflite design.
It was the Simpson gear set that was copied. They designed their own torque convertor.
This information is per either Allpar or Lee Iacocca's book.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Well that was American motors, Alittle bit of everything . They had parts that looked like ford and Chrysler and gm.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

There really is not much else I can do on the car now without jackstands but that transmission has pushed that investment months ahead. In the meantime I've been trying to figure out what new tools I will need and what needs attention. I have confirmed I have one set of sensors and actuators for the cruise control plus a spare control unit and combination switch for the steering column. That isn't a priority for now but the 4WD is.
I confirmed that the transfer case is currently in 2WD mode but the front hub is locked. Applying a vacuum doesn't seem to disengage it.

I pulled out the salvaged actuators I got and found that while its transfer case actuator was fine the other was also immobile. It took about 45 minutes of applying penetrating oil and persuasion in a vice to unfreeze that and dump out a bunch of rust so my guess is that the one in the car has also seized. That will have to come out and be repaired or replaced when I replace the front diff oil. That alone seems like I will need to get some torx drivers because the actuator is hidden under a rock pan.

Also I am still struggling to find any significant rust. I spent half an hour under the car looking in every tight spot trying to find something serious but aside from really small bits here and there the integrity of everything but the suspension's rubber bushings is amazing. I have freaking mount points that go through the body where bolts have either rusted out or have been so loose they rattle around but the body itself has not started rusting from these mating surfaces. How can a factory rust treatment be this good??

Last edited by MIPS; 10-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why are you fixing the 4wd? The car is a survivor, I wouldn't be driving it anywhere 4wd is needed.
Audiokarma
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

My thought on old cars is: if it has an option, that option should work even if I don't need it to. I would be pretty worried about driving the car on salted roads.

I remember reading years ago that a primary cause of problems with transfer cases was from lack of use.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
My thought on old cars is: if it has an option, that option should work even if I don't need it to. I would be pretty worried about driving the car on salted roads.

I remember reading years ago that a primary cause of problems with transfer cases was from lack of use.
I agree for the most part, but a ride like this I would never have out in snow or ice so I would not be concerned about the 4wd.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Why are you fixing the 4wd? The car is a survivor, I wouldn't be driving it anywhere 4wd is needed.
It's not 4WD in that you need sick mud flaps and killer suspension to climb mountains. If I wanted that I'd of bought a 4WD Tracker. It's 4WD in that you get traction on gravel roads, snowy highways and in my case, getting out of the driveway in winter. My 2WD Geo Tracker cannot exit the driveway with snow on the ground or it WILL NOT get out again until the snow melts. This is from experience.

I know all long the Pacific Northwest it is HIGHLY recommended you own a vehicle which can handle extended travel on paved highways and occasional dirt roads and winter mountain passes. In British Columbia especially as of October 1 you are required by law to have either winter tires installed or carry chains. Functioning 4WD that can be switched off for economy was considered when I pulled the trigger on this because putting chains on halfway up the Coq sucks but 4WD makes the ordeal a bit nicer until you hit Hope and you're 1000 feet below the snow line again and 4WD is no longer needed the the last 200km to Vancouver.

Quote:
I would be pretty worried about driving the car on salted roads.
Even with the Tracker I've had so many people say how it's strange seeing cars on the road out here that back East have not been seen on highways for over a decade because they have all succumbed to major rust.
Fact is out West we rarely use salt in the mountains because there are so many grades of gravel Road Maintenance can choose from and it can be recycled every spring when the highways are swept. The only times we use salt are when there are black ice warnings and it's a sprayed brine. So you end up with all levels of ancient cars running as daily drivers with almost no salt corrosion but LOTS of sandblasting and stone chips.
One of my neighbors drives a Lada Niva.

Last edited by MIPS; 10-04-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:08 AM
M is for Memory

My uncle was too poor for jack stands so he took thick logs of the right length and stuck them under the frame rails when working.

My 4 stands are a weird mix. One is the survivor of a set I bought new. Its match got crushed when the folks asked me to check something on their SUV while it was parked on the non-level part of the driveway...It rolled forward as I was raising it and squished the stand it knocked over (I learned to never try jacking on a slope that day). The second was a city find...Someone left it and a matching crummy floor jack (only kept because it is the only hydraulic jack I've found that fits under dads low slung 07 Accord) on the left turn median of Capitol drive at Lily Rd. a couple of years back and after seeing them a couple days straight driving to work I finally scooped them up. I also have a NIB set of stands I have not needed yet that the folks bought me to replace the one that their suv squished.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-05-2018, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gonna have to soapbox for a moment and point out that either the EaglesDen Forums (apparently there's a forum revolving around the AMC Eagle) have administrators that either never check for new registrations or keep denying my registration and nuking the account before I can even log into the site properly.
I have now tried three different times to register and the welcome email ended up in my spam folder and a note that the new account is disabled until an administrator can approve it and send an email (never arrives) and a few days later you try again to login and get a "this account does not exist". Nice people. Looks like I'm on my own for casual work on this car.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2018, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you tried here:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html
Lots of good stuff on there.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:44 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I have now tried three different times to register and the welcome email ended up in my spam folder and a note that the new account is disabled until an administrator can approve it and send an email (never arrives) and a few days later you try again to login and get a "this account does not exist". Nice people. Looks like I'm on my own for casual work on this car.
The thing is with forums, especially ones that aren't very busy, is that they get hit real bad with spam bots. Because they don't want to find a real solution to the problem, the admins just check the box that says all accounts need admin approval... and then they always forget to check if there's any new members pending. I wouldn't be too mad at them, they probably just don't check the thing very often.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

nvm

Last edited by init4fun; 10-21-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

While working inside the drivers side door to repair the dust cap inside the key lock and figure out why the door handle felt broken (it wasn't. The hinge pin had wiggled out), the vehicle's VBO was found taped to the backside of the inner door panel.

Edited: Had to rebuild the lock ultimately. The core and pins were good however the spring loaded dust cap had actually broken in two places and a key forced in so hard the spring had been jammed straight to the back of the core. The car came with replacement locks but the cores had to be swapped. Now I don't need to force the key in at a janky angle to unlock the drivers side, hurrah.

Last edited by MIPS; 10-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 PM
M is for Memory

Wow, it came with a factory installed "scuff"!...I wonder how many aftermarket scuffs it has had installed since?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma