Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

BK CRT Tester 470

So this is at my local thrift.. I already have the model with the three meters, a Beltron, and a Sencore.. This one is missing all sockets except the one pictured.. Tempting, but I could also wait until Saturday of next week when it will be half off, but by then it will probably be gone, like the TV/VCR i posted.. Yes someone actually bought it for that price..

Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 PM
TheUniversalDave1

$24 isn't a bad deal for that thing. It's a good tester. I used one for a long time before I got my CR70.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 PM
M is for Memory

I paid $1 more for my B&K 466 and it has served me well for well over 5 years now.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Well, if you do get it and need adapters, lemme know. I have seven of the 470s, 6 with broken case hinges. The hinges are literally the weakest link to the 470.

We used two of them - one for service calls, and one in the shop. When other shops started closing, we got their 470s for a song. I got my 7th 470 with a few sockets for $14 in 2010 from a picker, 13 adapters included. I've sold two to an amusements company, so I saved myself from having 9....

There was a reason all the shops here used the 470s - best bang for the buck. Sencore came to Hampton, VA with their road show back in early 1996 - and asked shops to bring in their tired, weary CRTs. The presentation with their CR7000 went bust when a whole bunch of us showed up with CRTs near dead or dead. Nothing esoteric - just a bunch of 23V/A63 stuff. The CR7000 restored one. They broke out a CR70 and it faired a bit better, restoring another the CR7000 couldn't. One smart ass tech from a Gun shop/TV shop brought in his B&K 470 and restored all but two of the dozen or so CRTs. Zing! The Sencore rep went right on presenting the VCR stuff while 10 or so of us were in the back, rejuving CRTs with the 470.

Our distributor had 470s on sale ($269, IIRC) at the time, and we picked up our second before they ran dry. About half of our adapters were homemade - get the Molex kit (still sold widely by Waldom via Mouser), a pinout of the CRT, and a socket from a junker set, and you've got the makings. B&K got $18 - $33 for the adapters, and the only one we bought was for the 11SP22/10VADP22 GE CRTs from Portacolor sets. All others came with the tester or were homemade for a dollar or less. IIRC, the B&K's (466, 467, 470, 490 etc) were the only ones that could test the Portacolor CRTs directly without having to set up the universal socket for each gun.
If it has Socket 3 (25A/23V/25V CRTs), it's a bargain at $24. You can make any of the sockets yourself, provided you have access to a socket from a junked set. You can also pick up sockets from brighteners, other testers (like the B&K 440 socket "trees"), Tele-Matic Jig adapters, and even CRT boards (like the Zenith 9-121) on eBay. There's a bunch of sockets and adapters for $20 on the 'bay right now.

I have the manual, setup guide, and setup charts should you need them - I can probably scan them to PDF too.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-30-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added tester info
Old 10-01-2017, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

It actually has the manual and alot of other paper work.. If I do get it, I'll need sockets.. The hinges on that are fine.. But my 467 model with the three meters, the top cover did break off.. will the hinges work for my 467 model?
Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
It actually has the manual and alot of other paper work.. If I do get it, I'll need sockets.. The hinges on that are fine.. But my 467 model with the three meters, the top cover did break off.. will the hinges work for my 467 model?
The hinge on the 467s and 470s is plastic, part of the case. When they break, we used stainless steel piano hinge material for repair (I got about 20 feet of the stuff from some old ATE cabinets the Navy was junking) - the shiny brass stuff they sell at HD, Lowes, Ace, or Menards will work just as well. Keep the sheet metal screws shortish - I seem to recall I used 3/8" #6 screws.

My 467 has a good hinge, but I rarely even open it up. I got it back in 2008 or 2009 with a lot of other test equipment from a Public Surplus auction.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm.. I never thought of that.. But it's defiantly a good idea.. It would even probably be a good idea to even install on units that aren't already broken off.. I don't know why they used that method, opening and closing plastic that's flexible is eventually gonna break after age and so many times flexing it back and forth.. Do those screws actually grab on to that thin plastic very well? Not sure if I should use those type of screws or drill holes and use screws and washers/bolts on the inside to tighten or just JB weld the strip on..